Ware County Hunting thoughts

savetheweb

How is the hunting in Ware county there just South of Waycross and East of Hwy 84? Have an option for about 250 acers there to lease wondering how it is, looked good from satellite and topo?

Any thoughts?

1623512999443.png

Kev

Everyone around there runs dogs. What are your goals? If it’s trophy bucks then I’d look somewhere else. If it’s just having a place to go and kill a couple meat deer then it would probably be ok.

earlthegoat2

Last I knew that tract was Rayonier land. Is it still?

I would think with 200 acres to yourself you could get away from the dog hunters a little bit.

I hunted 30 acres in Ware west of Waycross between 84 and the RR tracks. There were plenty of deer but access was hard because if it rained a half inch it flooded out 4 or more feet. I would expect it is higher ground if Rayonier still owns it.

I never saw big bucks but like Kev says, there were enough deer that it was good for meat hunting.

savetheweb

Thanks there I have shot plenty of wall hangers over the years just looking for a place to meat hunt some deer and hogs and take the kids and enjoy and maybe build it up for them over the years?

Yea buddy of mine got this track sometime ago but got a better one a few days ago in there Rayonier last release so he asked if I was interested...

savetheweb

Did you ask your "buddy" how the hunting was? Figure he'd be the one who would know.

Yep he had it for 2 years now nothing really produce for him but did get a few trail camera pics of nice Bucks but he really doesn't manage it other going up there maybe 2x a year.... Just wanted to see others thought that hunt the area as alot says this might be due to mostly dog hunters in Ware county running the deer all over hard to hold any on property....

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you want to PM me the exact location I can probably tell you a lot about it. I live here, and hunt here. I ain't gonna snipe ya, I got more than I can hunt now...

And don't be too concerned with the dog hunters. I've shot many that wouldn't have moved if it weren't for their activity.

2202.jpeg

Shot this one in '19, when the dog hunters on the road stopped to talk 150 yards in front of me, and he got up to sneak out...Use them as a tool.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Never mind the PM, I know the block of which you speak...

I used to be in a dog hunting club across the road, when we had 5K acres. Rayonier split it all up, and priced us out.

Nearest dog club now would not be an issue for you.

Unless something has changed, the Mexicans rake pine straw in that block and it's nothing but straw and trees. Also, that area gets a pile of ATV traffic.

My son and I thought about that block several years back, but passed on it.

Absolutely go look at it for yourself before paying a dime.

Your profile says Stuart...Is that as in Florida??? If so there's NO WAY that little piece is worth what you'd shell out to use it.

spencer12

I drove through there on my way to savannah a couple weeks ago. That area of the state is in the middle of nowhere. I liked it. Its just one big swamp.

nmurph

The problem with much of Southeast Georgia is that it is flat and featureless. Stick a map on the wall and throw two darts anywhere in Southeast Georgia and there's a 95% chance the land will look identical no matter where the darts land. There's not a lot of agriculture in much of this area and not much in the way of geography that concentrates dear. What you end up with is a fairly good population of small deer that move without much pattern.

Reactions: Kev

spencer12

We like it that way...keeps all the Yanks, Florida Boys,and Yeti-toting Atlanta hunters away?
Oh me to, I’m not far from yall, just a about 90 minutes west. I did notice there isn’t much in the way of ag land which is different than my area as we have a bunch of peanuts and cotton. I also like the areas historical dog hunting areas. Not sure how you locals feel about it but I would embrace that culture, I’m sure in the next few decades that will begin to fade out.

furtaker

If you want to PM me the exact location I can probably tell you a lot about it. I live here, and hunt here. I ain't gonna snipe ya, I got more than I can hunt now...

And don't be too concerned with the dog hunters. I've shot many that wouldn't have moved if it weren't for their activity.

View attachment 1085543

Shot this one in '19, when the dog hunters on the road stopped to talk 150 yards in front of me, and he got up to sneak out...Use them as a tool.
That's a pretty BLR. What caliber?

Blackston

That mature buck looks like the one posted above by railroader.
It sure does !! I spent about 2 yrs Bway as a contractor In Homerville, fella that worked there shred em with me ... ain’t no tellin ?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
That mature buck looks like the one posted above by railroader.

It sure does !! I spent about 2 yrs Bway as a contractor In Homerville, fella that worked there shred em with me ... ain’t no tellin ?

Dang, that is a pretty striking resemblance at that...

He would have had to cross the Okefenokee, cause I killed him in Brantley.

The photo sure makes it seem possible...