Was James teaching a pre-crucifixion discipleship?

Artfuldodger

I read the whole book of James yesterday and it presented me with some questions. I've read James before and Paul's epistles.
From what I gather James was teaching the Jews who were spread out in all the nations and Paul was teaching mostly Gentiles but also some Churches that were probably mostly Jewish.

Artfuldodger

Reading what Luther thought of James;
I begin with Luther who once claimed (1960:396) that, although James 'names Christ', he 'teaches nothing about him, but only speaks of general faith in God'. Luther even went so far as to assert in one place (1967:424) that 'some Jew wrote' the letter of James 'who probably learned about Christian people but never encountered any'.

Why would Luther say such things or why would one modern scholar dub James as 'the least Christian book in the New Testament' (Jülicher 1931:209)? Why would another affirm 'that which is specifically Christian [in it] is surprisingly thin' (Bultmann 1955:143), or another assert that it leaves 'the impression of an almost pre-crucifixion discipleship' (Sidebottom 1967:14) or another claim that it lacks 'any distinctive Christian message' (Kümmel 1975:416)? Why did one 19th century commentator assert that 'the style and manner [of James] are more that of a Jewish prophet than a Christian apostle' (Clarke 1856:1824)?

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2305-08532015000100019

Artfuldodger

The reasons for such remark , which could be multiplied indefinitely, are obvious. Jesus' crucifixion is neither mentioned nor clearly alluded to. Nor is anything said about his resurrection or exaltation. Jesus' deeds are nowhere mentioned, and one searches in vain for any remark upon his character or status as a moral model - a striking omission given the appeals to other moral models, namely Abraham, Rahab, Job and Elijah. Adolf Harnack (1958:490) remarked: James 'does not refer to Jesus Christ where one would expect'. Further, our book says nothing explicit about baptism, about the Lord's Supper or about the fulfillment of prophecy in Jesus Christ.

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2305-08532015000100019

Artfuldodger

As I was reading it again yesterday it seemed to be more about discipleship than grace. Pre-crucifixion discipleship? I wouldn't go that far. That was just what some others have thought.

I would agree with this;
"Perhaps it would be prudent, given the extraordinary differences in learned judgement, to refrain from drawing too many conclusions regarding James. Some historical mysteries simply cannot be solved, because too few clues have come down to us."

gordon 2

On Luther. It is said of Luther that he was anti semitic. The fact that James addresses the "twelve scattered tribes" must of raised his spiritual pressure.

Now on James. Imagine yourself James and how you would write about the new way with the full weight that Jesus was an intimate by blood. Would you wax on Jesus and risk the unfair taint of being a family cult or would you take the high road and talk about God?

I find that James teaches saints who have received Jesus in their hearts the other side of faith as in the need of saints to get ( work at getting) into the heart of Jesus which is the heart of God. He is saying don't be just listeners be doers--live your faith. James seems to echo the Sermon on the Mount as a teaching which applies to those who having received the Holy Spirit for God's grace, they now must do more than just listen, they need to walk ( do) for the faith they now know: "Blessed are those who..." despite the world throwing rocks at them... still find need to walk towards the Shepherds voice, not just listen to it.

I think that Luther might have though this "doing" to be works... and works was not within his salvation understanding. It is said that Luther wanted assurance that he was of the elect, he was over worried about this it is said. Perhaps like many others Luther cannot understand that the pilgrims effort of loving God is part of Christian faith... it is not so much a work as it is to live and to live within eternal life and as any relationship requires.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Sometimes James writing looks like Paul's. James sometimes parallels the thoughts of Paul. The way I see the Book of James is he is recalling what he heard directly from Jesus. It's a book of what Jesus commands. It's a reflection of obedience and discipleship. It's practical and calls for action.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Sometimes James writing looks like Paul's. James sometimes parallels the thoughts of Paul. The way I see the Book of James is he is recalling what he heard directly from Jesus. It's a book of what Jesus commands. It's a reflection of obedience and discipleship. It's practical and calls for action.

The way I see the Book of James is he is recalling what he heard directly from Jesus.

That being the case you need to appeal to a different authority, as the critical hermeneutic taught by the one you chose would never allow such an dependence on a single memory (he seems to be well known for such denial)

Latest posts