Watch Your Debit Card Numbers

Big7

The Oracle
Just got a notification that "Ad Block" tried to debit my account twice.

I have a pop up on my GON page from them from time to time but I have never clicked on it. I don't know how they got my number.

Wells Fargo is sending me a new card so now I have to call everyone on auto- pay give them the new number.

BOLO.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

I have a pop up on my GON page from them from time to time but I have never clicked on it. I don't know how they got my number.

Wells Fargo is sending me a new card so now I have to call everyone on auto- pay give them the new number.

BOLO.
It is unlikely that anyone recorded your number. Most card numbers are gotten through random number generators. Most cards from a card company are going to start with the same 8 numbers so a scammer will randomly test the remaining 8 digits against a card authorizer that allows multiple hits for low dollar amounts without sounding an alarm. Most authorizers will catch it and prevent it but they occasionally get through. When they find a good card number, they attempt larger amounts, but they still have to get by your card companies policies for card not present transactions.
Your new card will fix the problem until it randomly happens again.

Lukikus2

Had 300 charges of $.99 on my WF card overnight back awhile. Called the bank and got refunded but also gave them the “what for” for not catching it. Also had a emergency credit card I had never used that all the sudden started getting Amazon charges on it.

Big7

The Oracle
Had 300 charges of $.99 on my WF card overnight back awhile. Called the bank and got refunded but also gave them the “what for” for not catching it. Also had a emergency credit card I had never used that all the sudden started getting Amazon charges on it.
Gal at the bank while ago told me if you ever pay anything on line, your info WILL be sold by the third party.

I'm just glad they caught it and notified me.
I've been with Wells Fargo 5 or 6 years and they have denied transactions and caught fraudulent charges a few times. Very happy with WF so far.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yep, that's how they do it. Perfect example. They've got some other tricks too.

ryanh487

If you have a bank account, social security number, credit card, etc, the information is out on the dark web. It's basically like a reverse lottery on whether or not someone decides to use it.

specialk

i had a BOA ccard that got hit 40 times in Newfoundland for 14.99 each for Netflix....

westcobbdog

BOLO.
I have a debit card too but you are an easy target with one so watch your acts closely. Fake visa is what Clark Howard calls them.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Gal at the bank while ago told me if you ever pay anything on line, your info WILL be sold by the third party.

I'm just glad they caught it and notified me.
I've been with Wells Fargo 5 or 6 years and they have denied transactions and caught fraudulent charges a few times. Very happy with WF so far.
That's why you always do online orders on a cc vs a debit card. Debit cards don't have the same fraud protection as a cc.

Big7

The Oracle
That's why you always do online orders on a cc vs a debit card. Debit cards don't have the same fraud protection as a cc.
I might have to do something in the age of on line trickery and theft.

I haven't had a credit card since early to mid 90's.

breathe in

I’ve had my debit card numbers taken an cpl times and some stuff charged. The credit union reimbursed me, but they don’t care. Asked them if they were going to investigate, they said, no. First charge was for a dollar at a motel. What can you buy for a dollar at a motel? Nothing. Seems like would’ve been a pretty simple investigation to me?

I haven’t use my debit card in probably seven or eight years.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One thing hackers have done in recent years is to try to get into Utility companies and local government utilities.
If you pay utilities online it’s safer with a Credit Card I was told.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I’ve had my debit card numbers taken an cpl times and some stuff charged. The credit union reimbursed me, but they don’t care. Asked them if they were going to investigate, they said, no. First charge was for a dollar at a motel. What can you buy for a dollar at a motel? Nothing. Seems like would’ve been a pretty simple investigation to me?

I haven’t use my credit card in probably seven or eight years.
I had charges on a cc statement years ago...a RT flight on JetBlue from NY to Puerto Rico, with the passenger's name listed on my card statement, plus $500 of merch at the MLB online store.

CC company put the money back on my card and when I asked if they would pursue, since they had the name, they said, "No, you got your money back, didn't you?"

I bet we'd all be astounded at the real amount of cc fraud/theft that goes unpunished in this country.

oldfella1962

BOLO.
Thanks for the warning!

Lukikus2

There are legit mega companies on both sides of the pond that are nothing but digital scammers. I am glad to see some card companies require a secondary authorization now. All beit a hassle, it is more fool proof and stops the scammers.

earlthegoat2

Seems like there are many folks who have problems with debit cards that end up becoming bigger problems.

Seems like credit cards have the same problems but those rarely become bigger problems.

I exclusively use my credit card for all purchases and really only have a debit card because I need it for the ATM.

My CC has been frauded a few times but the amounts were all less than $100 before the card got locked up.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Some of the software / apps that you install on your computers, tablets, and phones, could have key logging abilities that steal your info. Never install anything unless it’s from a trustworthy source, yet again, nothing is foolproof.