Water in the transmission

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
2011 Nissan crew cab 4.4 with towing package. A years ago I was advised to change the radiator because the trans cooler was in the radiator. Saying that cooler would eventually leak and put water in the transmission. So, I ordered what was supposed to be an upgrade to fix that problem. It failed and put water in the transmission. Just picked my truck up today, bill was 4235.00. The truck has an external cooler so the transmission shop only hooked it up. Kept my fluid out of the radiator. Imagine that, someone thought a good idea to cool xmission fluid in a hot radiator. Would warm the xmission up fast, but look at the problem it caused. And no recall even though Nissan knew about the problem.

Cwb19

Not just nissan auto manufacturers have been doing that since the invention of auto transmissions. Had the same issue with my 95 Ford f150 Did they flush the trans fluid out of your cooling system

transfixer

2011 Nissan crew cab 4.4 with towing package. A years ago I was advised to change the radiator because the trans cooler was in the radiator. Saying that cooler would eventually leak and put water in the transmission. So, I ordered what was supposed to be an upgrade to fix that problem. It failed and put water in the transmission. Just picked my truck up today, bill was 4235.00. The truck has an external cooler so the transmission shop only hooked it up. Kept my fluid out of the radiator. Imagine that, someone thought a good idea to cool xmission fluid in a hot radiator. Would warm the xmission up fast, but look at the problem it caused. And no recall even though Nissan knew about the problem.

Transmission fluid has always run through a cooler inside one of the tanks on a radiator on almost every type vehicle out there, going back to the 60's, the problem with the Nissan's and Infiniti's is they chose a vendor for their radiators that was not top notch, the seals inside the radiator tank would deteriorate and leak, or the internal cooler itself would crack and cause glycol intrusion into the transmission fluid, on all those Nissan and Infiniti vehicles with the 5spd automatics where the transmission computer is on top of the valvebody inside the transmission, the glycol would cause the computer to malfunction, as well as deteriorate the rubber seals on the clutch pistons, its been going on since 2005, there was a class action lawsuit about it years ago, and Nissan had to pay out on a lot of vehicles, but that has long since been expired

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Transmission fluid has always run through a cooler inside one of the tanks on a radiator on almost every type vehicle out there, going back to the 60's, the problem with the Nissan's and Infiniti's is they chose a vendor for their radiators that was not top notch, the seals inside the radiator tank would deteriorate and leak, or the internal cooler itself would crack and cause glycol intrusion into the transmission fluid, on all those Nissan and Infiniti vehicles with the 5spd automatics where the transmission computer is on top of the valvebody inside the transmission, the glycol would cause the computer to malfunction, as well as deteriorate the rubber seals on the clutch pistons, its been going on since 2005, there was a class action lawsuit about it years ago, and Nissan had to pay out on a lot of vehicles, but that has long since been expired

I feel Nissan should reinburse me, time and cost.

transfixer

If you bought it new, you might go back to the original dealer you bought it from and show them the repair invoice , and see what they say ? don't think they'll do anything ,, but you never know ?

I do know if you aren't the original owner who bought it new, they won't do anything for you

westcobbdog

We had a Pathfinder around 2010 my wife had to have, it was a lemon brand new, with poor engine designs allowing the coolant to leak into the tranny, ruining it. Took many calls with denials all the way to the top calling all the way to Nissan HQ in Canada to get a new tranny. Total junk!! Pretty sure it goofed up after the big repair, too. I had new Michelins on it and basically sold it for the tires. Never again.

ClemsonRangers

which nissan models should be avoided?

transfixer

which nissan models should be avoided?

LOL,,, pretty much ALL of them in this day and time, seriously though the rear wheel drive SUV's and trucks from about late 04 till 2011 or 2012 have radiator/transmission cooler issues, and ANY of the NIssan's with the CVT transmissions are a failure waiting to happen ! we replace an average of two to three NIssan CVT's each and every week! and the Dealer units are only warranted for 12month/12,000 miles,, if you've got 12,005 miles on it and it fails,, you're out of luck ! Nissan Customer service is one of the worst in the automotive industry

ClemsonRangers

i have been looking at some old frontier 4x4s, good information right there!

transfixer

i have been looking at some old frontier 4x4s, good information right there!

If the transmission has already been gone through, and the radiator either replaced or the cooler portion of it bypassed, then there is nothing wrong with the trucks, the transmissions in those rear wheel drive trucks and SUV's are actually good units ! its just the mixture of glycol and transmission fluid would cause them to fail.

Tight Lines

@transfixer Do you guys swap the radiator and put in a separate transmission cooler? I need to have that done on my 2005 Titan with this setup. Probably go ahead and flush the radiator at the same time...

transfixer

@transfixer Do you guys swap the radiator and put in a separate transmission cooler? I need to have that done on my 2005 Titan with this setup. Probably go ahead and flush the radiator at the same time...

We usually leave it up to the customer which way they decide to go, if there is not transmission fluid in the radiator many want to just eliminate the trans cooler from it and run it through an auxiliary cooler, which we usually use the biggest one that will fit . But we do replace the radiators when necessary or if the customer wants to, If the radiator cooler hasn't failed, there isn't really a downside to just bypassing it and running an auxiliary cooler, since we're here in the south, it never gets cold enough to cause the fluid to gel anyway. And those units don't ever seem to run very hot , so cooling them isn't a big issue

Tight Lines

We usually leave it up to the customer which way they decide to go, if there is not transmission fluid in the radiator many want to just eliminate the trans cooler from it and run it through an auxiliary cooler, which we usually use the biggest one that will fit . But we do replace the radiators when necessary or if the customer wants to, If the radiator cooler hasn't failed, there isn't really a downside to just bypassing it and running an auxiliary cooler, since we're here in the south, it never gets cold enough to cause the fluid to gel anyway. And those units don't ever seem to run very hot , so cooling them isn't a big issue
Lets find a time to put that cooler on and remove it from the radiator...

Mark R

your engine and radiator runs around 200 degrees . your transmission dont need them temps . disconect from radiator and install a cooler . your transmission will appreciate it

Eudora

We got a notice in the mail for a Nissan Rogue we just recently traded in detailing an "extended warranty" up to 80k miles or 7 years on the CVT trans. It had 89k when we traded it, so it would not have been any help if we still had it. It was my daughters car and we persuaded her to get rid of it due to the potential CVT issues. Glad we did