Waters Creek

Athos

I’m only minimally familiar, but my understanding is that Waters is effectively dead as a fishery.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The last time I fished Waters, I said it would be the last time I fished Waters until I heard of some improvement.

Buckman18

Its not worth the trip IMO. The State either needs to fix it or remove the trophy regs and let it fall in with the statewide regs.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I thought dukes and waters were the best. Dang. Might have to go somewhere else. I've been wanting to make it up there

fish hawk

Bass Master
Whats the problem there?I know in the past they had poaching issues.Is that still the problem or is it something else?

DAVE

I fished it a lot in the late seventies and eighties and it was great. I credit the area manager that was there during the eighties with keeping the stream great, his name was Allen Padgett. I have not been there in several years but the last time I was there they had let beavers build dams in the creek and with the dams came silt that filled in a lot of gravel beds. Also Waters had a problem with otters and they were protected.

Buford_Dawg

Poaching was a big issue back in the 90s. I was fishing Dicks right above the bridge where Waters and Dicks come together one Friday AM and some young teenager came running thru the woods and crossedt Dicks creek about 40 yards above, hauling butt. Had a huge trout in his hands, someone was waiting on side of the dirt road, he jumped in and off they went. I tried to get out of the stream and get a tag # but was not fast enough. Crazy I must say. Stocking truck showed up a short time later, so I went about my business catching my limit, was hoping to run into a DNR person, but didnt that day. Several others fishing at the bridge saw the incident as well.

35 Whelen

WATERS CREEK
Waters Creek, located on the Chestatee WMA, is managed for trophy trout. Waters Creek and its tributaries are open on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays between 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (7:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time) with the following restrictions:
• Artifcial lures with a single barbless hook no larger than a #6 must be used. Only one lure can be used at a time. You cannot possess lures that do not meet these criteria while on the area.
• Landing nets may not exceed two (2) feet in length.
• Possession of any bait, lure, landing nets or gear not legal for use on the stream is unlawful.
• No night fshing.
Size and possession limits:
• Size limits: 22 inches for brown and rainbow trout and 18 inches for brook trout. It is a violation to possess a trout smallerthan these limits while fshing on Waters creek.
• Possession limit: One (1) trout may be possessed daily. No person may take more than three (3) trout from January 1 to December 31 each year.