We Got Nailed!!!

mikel

ivan dumped on us
it came through thursday night and turned my place upside down.water was a foot deep in my front yard BEFORE the creek got out.i had a river about 200 feet wide going through my back yard by daylight.now ive got 2 or 3 dumptruck loads of rock to move.didnt hurt nothing else though.left me a bunch of fish in the yard.power came on a couple of hours ago so i guess things are starting to get back to normal.now i can read 3 days worth of posts.ought to keep me occupied a while

Snakeman

Glad that you're okay.
Glad that the power is back on.
Glad that you've got your priorities in order! :D
now i can read 3 days worth of posts

The Snakeman

Darryl Yates

At least the creeck didnt reach your house Mike..We had a couple tornado's here but they only got about 8 miles from my house...Sure hope the bad weather is over for this year...Tell alll I said hello and hope the family is doing OK.. :clap: :clap:

Skipper

Banned
Glad you are ok. Man, it was a wiered 2 days, that's for sure, and I've never seen such a pretty weekend. You'd have never told me at 11 am Friday that we were going to have a good trip to the Smokies this weekend. I figured we'd get soaked in the motel room much less walking around the Burg. I was sitting at my desk Friday when the worst part of the storm came through, the wind picked up and the steel roof on the building started to rattle, garbage cans were rolling around in the alley, and then the whole darn place started shaking. I thought, now what? I'm used to them breaking freight in the rail yard and at first it sounded like the engineer had hit the go lever instead of the stop lever and had really smacked a line of cars. It kept shaking and rattling though. I thought, well, they've turned a train plumb over back there, then I though one had exploded or something. I stuck my head out the door and the wind nearly ripped the door off the hinges and it was flat pouring the rain. I couldn't see anything except the rest of the business owners looking out of their stores trying to figure out what happened. We're not educated on earthquakes around here. We have one about once every 25 years or so and nobody remembers the last one. I grew up in Williamsburg and was quite familiar with what a shot sounded and felt like though. I mean the kind of shot they set off in a strip mine to clear about 5000 tons of spoil. The earthquake felt something like that on steroids.

Skipper

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Dang , I wished we knew you were so near , Mikel and I could have driven over to meet ya , Well maybe ??? We were too busy surviving and worriing about our local roads was 441 open between Cherokee and the burg ??

mikel

dbone

the roads through cherokee and across the mtn. are ok that end of the county didnt get it as hard as the southern part.107 south to cashiers is closed.several slides covered the road and there are 8 or 9 break offs.it will take a long time to fix.a friend works for the dot and he told me one slide was estimated at taking 45,000 yards of material to fix.that is a CRATER.we finally got things back to normal here.hope you and yours did ok

Skipper

Banned
I didn't tell anyone I was going. Our internet service was down when a tree fell during the worst of the storm/earthquake. I felt lucky to get home and back out to the road. We'll be back up there in October likely trying to shoot some elk photos in Cataloochee.

Skipper