Wear those snake boots y'all

Jim Boyd

Anti venom, thousands of dollars lost time at work, and death for a co-worker of mine ...not quite disproportionate, I not terrified of em, but close to concrete and kids it’s gonna die in my neck of woods...Via lead poisoning, guaranteed.

I would argue that it is quite disproportionate.

The US averages 5-6 deaths annually from snake bite and roughly 60 deaths per year from wasps, bees and hornets.

I am not being facetious but I have seen hundreds of people in snake boots while hunting and never seen a single one wearing a bee suit and carrying a bow or gun.

Again, if you like the snake boots, I love them for you.

I just believe we need to match the prevention to the threat.

Wayne D Davis

Me to Wayne , even if the bill was free ! I’m not scared of them , actually like them and really enjoy seeing them . But I’m in the woods to much before daylight and after dark and hardly ever use a flashlight unless I’m worried about someone shooting me !
To be honest I rarely see poisonous snake until the warm days of Nov Dec. I see plenty of kings and rat snake... occasional black racer... oops . That could be racist

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I wear snakeboots so I don’t have to worry so much when I’m walking out and stepping in that four foot briar patch my foolish self walked into. It’s not the snake it’s the price tag.

sghoghunter

I have seen a lot of rattlers. Exactly none of them have been aggressive.

The only real aggressive rattler I ever seen was a couple diamondbacks until a couple weekends ago. I ran up on a timber rattler crossing the road in the club and as soon as I got off the golf cart and got within 10 feet it raised its head up about a foot off the ground and waved it around a couple times and coiled up. That’s the first one in a long time that I saw coil up without actually messing with it

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve caught a lot of rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and some coral snakes. I`ve seen even more. I have never, ever, seen an aggressive one. No matter how riled up they were, they never showed aggression.

Folks, learn the difference between aggressive and defensive,

Kev

You folks can wear the boots if you like.

We have had this discussion ad nauseum so I am sure we will have it 27 more times this summer.

Other than religious ceremonies and people that just have to screw with a snake, people are rarely bitten.

Also, your calf and foot are not the only areas that can be bitten.

But, can they prevent a bite?

Yes, they can so if it makes you feel better, please do wear them.

They are too hot and too heavy for me.

I will never understand the disproportionate fear that snakes create.

Best of luck.
I too hate snake boots because they’re hot and heavy. I use to only wear them if I was really going to be tromping through briars and thick stuff until i stepped over a huge cotton mouth one day and he popped me. Thank God I had them on.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
And those of you who think a cottonmouth is bad, well, it`s obvious you`ve never fooled with a really mad diamondback, or a normal tempered pygmy rattler. :rolleyes:

an irritated 3' Diamondback can sound like a whole heard of cicada in the quiet woods. I have stepped over streatched out Canebrakes as big as my forearm chasing hogs. I do wear snake boots...got 2 pair of Danners...I have taken a few but most are left alone.

Caseypatton

I've caught a couple hundred of them they hardly ever rattle for me timber rattlers get a bad wrap because they kill a few folks a year there not really aggressive you probably could have stepped on him and he wouldn't have bit you

James12

I've caught a couple hundred of them they hardly ever rattle for me timber rattlers get a bad wrap because they kill a few folks a year there not really aggressive you probably could have stepped on him and he wouldn't have bit you

This

KevChap

Banned
This reminds me of the guy on here a couple years back that got bit by a rattlesnake.. can't remember his name but he was talking about how bad it messed him up

KevChap

Banned
I've been in the tree business for 16 years in the woods everyday for work and in the woods every chance I get to hunt and I've never ran into a rattler.. only copperheads

woods&water

I wear snake gaitors year round. I have been hit by poisonous snakes more times than I can count and no trips to the ER. I am looking ahead of myself when in the woods not down at the ground and they give me piece of mind. They work.
In over 60 years of hunting I have NEVER had a rattlesnake rattle when I walked up on it.

Baroque Brass

That one is colored up like the canebrakes we have around here. Canebrakes are generally well mannered.
“Well mannered” gave me a laugh! Never heard a snake described a well mannered. By the way, I thought timbers and canebreaks were the same. Is there a difference?

bowhunterdavid

My snake bite cost me about 175 thousand dollars last year. I really think the only reason the rattler bit me is because i lay'ed my bow down right on top of it, other wise it would have left me alone. Glad my wife has us good insurance,still had to pay 4500 out of pocket.