Wear those snake boots y'all

BIG RANDY

Y'all can let them be if you want, you can call me ignorant, scared whatever you want but when it comes to me and my family not to mention my small dogs ( just like family) no venomous snake gets a free pass on my farm.

Triple C

Never wore em when younger, have religiously for the past decade or so. Anybody tried the "turtle skins" and also is there a good ankle boot that is somewhat comfortable but maybe not labeled as "snake proof" that would stop a fang to the toe that you could wear in the summer with the turtle skins. Thinking something somehwat comfortable you could wear with shorts if out and about in the summer.
Been wearing turtle skin chaps since 2014 or 2015 after quail hunting in Nic's stomping grounds. Weigh mere ounces and easy off and on. Got a Danner snake boots like new. Turtle Skins my go to. Bout the weight of a pair of boot socks.

TomC

Good to hear about the Turtle Skins. I've come close ordering a pair of their gaiters for a few years. My favorite pair of snake boots are my 2012 Cabelas Pinnacle boots and they are showing their age. I CRIED when I found out they were discontinued. Best hunting boots I've ever owned and not been happy with some other snake boots I am currently using. Looks like the turtle skins and a pair of comfortable ankle boots are a good idea. Looking for something comfortable I can wear with shorts out doing work in the woods during summer.

jbogg

I had a good experience with my Irish setter snake boots, but when hunting the mountains they don’t offer much in the way of ankle support when side hilling or carrying a heavy pack. I found turtle skins on sale online for 40% off last January and snatched a pair. When folks say they are lightweight they aren’t kidding. I am not even aware of them when wearing them.

spencer12

And those of you who think a cottonmouth is bad, well, it`s obvious you`ve never fooled with a really mad diamondback, or a normal tempered pygmy rattler. :rolleyes:
I’ve seen a couple diamondbacks and one was a big one. I stepped right over her before doing a half hearted jump once I processed she was there. Never rattled or lifted her head. I tossed a stick near her and she slid in a cavern of Tupelo roots. Nearly grabbed a cane break while pulling grass out from under my trail cam once, the snake simply moved its head (which was less than 10 inches from my hand) out of the way and then slithered off into a dead stump hole. Literally stepped on a cottonmouth that was definitely “mature” that one stood his ground for a bit but again a tossed stick and he was gone. I’m with you on the snakes, I let them be in the woods they are far more valuable to the ecosystem than most know.

TomC

What got me thinking about Turtle Skins a few years back was a close call with a copperhead while fly fishing. I was even thinking about wrapping the gaiters around my Simms waders.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I am hunting in South Ga. in nearly knee high wiregrass I have my boots on. I wear then because I dont have a clear view of the ground. I am not worried about one attacking me or ambushing me, but if I step right on one, I am sure it is going to react. Ay my age and health, I honestly do not think I would survive a strike.

bowhunterdavid

Been wearing turtle skin chaps since 2014 or 2015 after quail hunting in Nic's stomping grounds. Weigh mere ounces and easy off and on. Got a Danner snake boots like new. Turtle Skins my go to. Bout the weight of a pair of boot socks.
Just got me a pair of turtle skins, i think they only are 7 ounces.

Baroque Brass

And how many of those "cottonmouths" these folks seem to boast about seeing or slaying are actually just a cliche banded water snake....

Up here around Athens everyone claims they "killed a cottonmouth" yet the closest real cottonmouth I've ever seen is Warren County. Still don't think there has ever been one in Walton or Barrow county, much less somewhere like Gwinnett. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.
I had a veteran DNR Ranger tell me cottonmouths are rarely found north of the fall line.

oppthepop

never had a canebreak or timber rattler, copperhead, or yes, even a cottonmouth act aggressively and I've been around a few in my day. I kept a 6 foot king snake for several years and i can tell you what aggressive is! That sucker would bite you and bite you HARD if you messed up handling him. Finally gave him his freedom in the back 40.

Lead Poison

I live in south Florida and rest assured we have plenty of big Eastern Diamondbacks. As pointed out, they have a very mean disposition compared to Timber rattlers.