Wear those snake boots y'all

BIG RANDY

Killed this joker Saturday after me, my wife and my son all walked within 10 inches of it. Snake never rattled and if It hadn't flicked its tongue right as I was looking it's way I would have likely stepped on it. This is the first time I've encountered a rattler that would not rattle and it scared the crap out of me how close we all came to getting bitten. .38 snake shot out of my little J frame Smith took care of him. A little over 4 feet long 13 rattles and a button.

0627201802resize.jpg0627201759resize.jpg

Kev

Killed this joker Saturday after me, my wife and my son all walked within 10 inches of it. Snake never rattled and if It hadn't flicked its tongue right as I was looking it's way I would have likely stepped on it. This is the first time I've encountered a rattler that would not rattle and it scared the crap out of me how close we all came to getting bitten. .38 snake shot out of my little J frame Smith took care of him. A little over 4 feet long 13 rattles and a button.

View attachment 1024400View attachment 1024401
Yep. Walked up on 2 timber rattlers this weekend neither one would rattle until I poked them with a stick, And they still barely rattled.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a lot of rattlers. Exactly none of them have been aggressive.

Luv2Bowhnt

running a pole saw on our farm yesterday cutting some pine limbs out of the road. was very conscientious and looking for snakes. I was dragging the limbs into some planted pines that were pretty clean but still was looking out for snakes. I did have my snake proof Crocs (haha) on. While dragging some limbs out of the road and into the pines, I felt something stick me in the back of my right foot along my Achilles heel. whatever it was, I could tell that it was still stuck in me....scared the crap out of me. I turned to look expecting to see a small snake stuck to my heel only to find one of those lobed cactus with the long thorns hanging out of my heel. Scared the you know what out of me. I'll be wearing my snake boots from now on!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Glad u or your family didn’t get bit ! Probably the only reason it would of bit is if you stepped on it !

Jim Boyd

You folks can wear the boots if you like.

We have had this discussion ad nauseum so I am sure we will have it 27 more times this summer.

Other than religious ceremonies and people that just have to screw with a snake, people are rarely bitten.

Also, your calf and foot are not the only areas that can be bitten.

But, can they prevent a bite?

Yes, they can so if it makes you feel better, please do wear them.

They are too hot and too heavy for me.

I will never understand the disproportionate fear that snakes create.

Best of luck.

Worley

Anti venom, thousands of dollars lost time at work, and death for a co-worker of mine ...not quite disproportionate, I not terrified of em, but close to concrete and kids it’s gonna die in my neck of woods...Via lead poisoning, guaranteed.

Red dirt clod

My 7 year old grand daughter was in front on a trail near Suches and stopped and said snake. 3 foot timber rattler stretched across the trail. They left it be. We’ve seen several killed run over whatever on the forestry service roads in the area. We have tried to teach them to watch closely when walking anywhere. Looks like it has paid off. Still very scary.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anti venom, thousands of dollars lost time at work, and death for a co-worker of mine ...not quite disproportionate, I not terrified of em, but close to concrete and kids it’s gonna die in my neck of woods...Via lead poisoning, guaranteed.
I'm much more scared of people driving cars while texting. As the OP said, they all walked within ten inches of the snake and it didn't bite them....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Watch where you step, more importantly, watch where you put your hands. No need to fear them, just respect them. They`re a lot more scared of you than you are them. If they`re in your yard, relocate or kill em. If they`re in the woods, let em be. Chances are you`ll never see it again. None are aggressive, not on this continent. Not even the fabled cottonmouth.

If one is bothering you that bad and you`re within 50 miles of me, contact me and I`ll come get the everlasting thing.

Buckstop

Have never had a fear of them and spent a lot of time in the woods without snake boots over the years. However, the property I hunt now just seems to have a surplus. I’m sure it has to do with the crop fields and mice & rabbits they draw. None have rattled and I’ve stepped plenty close and actually over one I didnt see right next to the truck. Thank heaven I didnt land on him. I try to wear the snake boots in the warm months as much as I can stand.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Average is roughly 60,000 bill for snake bite treatment... I'll wear my snake boots
Me to Wayne , even if the bill was free ! I’m not scared of them , actually like them and really enjoy seeing them . But I’m in the woods to much before daylight and after dark and hardly ever use a flashlight unless I’m worried about someone shooting me !