Wear those snake boots y'all

White0ak

Banned
And those of you who think a cottonmouth is bad, well, it`s obvious you`ve never fooled with a really mad diamondback, or a normal tempered pygmy rattler. :rolleyes:

And how many of those "cottonmouths" these folks seem to boast about seeing or slaying are actually just a cliche banded water snake....

Up here around Athens everyone claims they "killed a cottonmouth" yet the closest real cottonmouth I've ever seen is Warren County. Still don't think there has ever been one in Walton or Barrow county, much less somewhere like Gwinnett. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Jim Boyd

My snake bite cost me about 175 thousand dollars last year. I really think the only reason the rattler bit me is because i lay'ed my bow down right on top of it, other wise it would have left me alone. Glad my wife has us good insurance,still had to pay 4500 out of pocket.

Glad you are well and definitely sorry you were bitten.

Thank God for good insurance.

Were you bitten on the foot or lower leg?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My snake bite cost me about 175 thousand dollars last year. I really think the only reason the rattler bit me is because i lay'ed my bow down right on top of it, other wise it would have left me alone. Glad my wife has us good insurance,still had to pay 4500 out of pocket.
Man, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Did it get you on the hand or the leg? I know probably a half-dozen people who have got bitten by venomous snakes. Every one of them was on the hand or arm, where snake boots don't help.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This reminds me of the guy on here a couple years back that got bit by a rattlesnake.. can't remember his name but he was talking about how bad it messed him up
And, if he hadn't tried to stomp it to death wearing tennis shoes, he would never have gotten bit. Trying to kill a snake is what gets a lot of folks bitten, when they would have been fine if they had left it alone.

bowhunterdavid

Glad you are well and definitely sorry you were bitten.

Thank God for good insurance.

Were you bitten on the foot or lower leg?
Jim it was on my finger, but the swelling went all the way to my shoulder. Most people think the bigger the snake the worst it is, NOT true!! the little pygmy rattler was only about 18 to 20 inches long. I got 10 viles of anti venom at 11800 dollars per vile. I highly recommend not getting bit.

bowhunterdavid

Man, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Did it get you on the hand or the leg? I know probably a half-dozen people who have got bitten by venomous snakes. Every one of them was on the hand or arm, where snake boots don't help.
It was my Pinky finger, I thought i was going to loose it because it stayed black for about 3 weeks and then my skin shed just like a snake skin, LOL

Reactions: DAR

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
“Well mannered” gave me a laugh! Never heard a snake described a well mannered. By the way, I thought timbers and canebreaks were the same. Is there a difference?

Some say there is a difference, some don`t. Hard to say, their venom can be different in different locales.

I`ll say this though, from much experience with both. A canebrake is a kitten compared to one of these.

irritible.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It was my Pinky finger, I thought i was going to loose it because it stayed black for about 3 weeks and then my skin shed just like a snake skin, LOL

A good friend of mine got bit on the toe by a 30 inch copperhead about 3 weeks ago. Had to have 4 vials and 2 nights in ICU.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yep...that's bad news Nic...seeing one that close in that position
I still remember visiting the Ross Allen Institute as a kid and seeing the Rattlesnake show....that 4' snake struck that balloon that was at least 3' away from it...and all I saw was the slight over travel of its head on recoil :D...and the balloon popped.

Jim Boyd

I have said this many times - down here in the lower part of SC we call them canebrakes.

They are a very gentlemanly snake and seem to go out of their way to leave people alone - and then be left alone themselves.

To me, it is that semi-inherent fear of serpents (learned from our elders and from lore) that makes people kill snakes.

Time to use knowledge to overcome bias and fear.

F9A8F81C-EBCF-414A-A6E4-81B321065874.jpeg

SC Hunter

Snakes get a pass from me unless their near the house or hunting camp. Now non poisonous snakes get a pass all the time. I wear snake boots and have been bitten with them on turkey hunting when I stepped on a smallish moccasin. I didnt know he was there until I felt the tap on my boot, he didn't make it out of that situation. I see 1 or 2 people a year bitten by snakes and most of the time they were playing with the snake when they get bitten.

TomC

Never wore em when younger, have religiously for the past decade or so. Anybody tried the "turtle skins" and also is there a good ankle boot that is somewhat comfortable but maybe not labeled as "snake proof" that would stop a fang to the toe that you could wear in the summer with the turtle skins. Thinking something somehwat comfortable you could wear with shorts if out and about in the summer.

SC Hunter

I have no idea how many snakes I see a year, I am in the woods at least 2 days a week or on the river fishing. I see snakes about every time we go fishing on the river and leave them alone usually unless their right at the landing.

woods&water

Never wore em when younger, have religiously for the past decade or so. Anybody tried the "turtle skins" and also is there a good ankle boot that is somewhat comfortable but maybe not labeled as "snake proof" that would stop a fang to the toe that you could wear in the summer with the turtle skins. Thinking something somehwat comfortable you could wear with shorts if out and about in the summer.

Any safety shoe with a composite toe instead of steel toe will keep a snake off the front of your foot. I wear them with snake gaiters loose so they go to the ground and have complete coverage. I hate snake boots and chaps but wear the gaiters and dont even know they are on.