Webster County

jam

Sunday Evening:
Just returned from paradise, what a mess, sad to see virgin white oaks laid down with roots up in the air. Some fine hunting areas destroyed by mother nature. The boys, Dad and myself spent a day and a half cutting and dragging trees and mess out of yard. Thanks above it could have been worse, minor damage to grandmom's house and none to my mobile home or camper. How I don't know, except the good man upstairs spared us! Going to change the way I hunt this year, but I can deal with that. Still no power when I left this afternoon, my uncle set up with generators and gas to take care of things till power is returned. My youngest son slipped away for a Saturday evening hunt with his bow, he bagged a fine 125.5# doe.

Curtis

I hear you. We had / have a ton of trees down. Luckily no damage to the house. Cleared about 20 trees from road, still another 15 or so to go. One tripod stand blown over with minor damage. One ladder stand crushed by a huge limb. All other stands ok. Shame to see several good hardwoods blown down with exposed root balls. Lots of “trash” on the ground. Likely will change some traffic patterns. As for deer, no decent bucks seen in hunting hours yet. Will see what the coming days bring. Good luck all.

jam

Same here, only does and small bucks. Been trying to remove some hogs but no luck with that. I did manage to remove a yote from the gene pool. Cameras indicate heavy movement between 12 to 6 am. Still early in our neck of woods. I know what you mean, dad and I worked all week last week cleaning trails and roads.

Last edited:

gitrdone150

Was a slow weekend,only heard a few shots.lots of small scrapes and small rubs around but only a few refreshed since the rain.cameras are showing the bucks are mostly moving around midnight. With the full moon being around Thanksgiving when is everyone thinking things will start to pick up?

DynamicDennis

I was able to kill a buck on the rifle opener, since then bucks have been moving mainly at night. I have always liked the second weekend in November myself.

Curtis

Historically, the 13th has been the best day for us. Last couple of years it feels like it has moved a little later. I think anytime from now till end of month is good with the teens being peak.

DynamicDennis

Boys get in the woods now, they just busted wide open on our lease in preston, one member shot a 140 inch 10 point this morning dogging a doe and 2 others shot good 8 points both right behind does, Ill be in the stand by 2:00! Good luck!

jam

We have not seen any signs of chasing on the south end of Webster, does still in groups and with yearlings. I am glad to hear it is starting close to.us.

jam

Webster-aka paradise, get ready it has started and should get good in the next few days! My take on what went on today in the woods as well as what my cameras are indicating the rut has started. When this rain gets out of here and with the colder weather, I think things are going to get right. Just hope I am at the right place on this hill to get rewarded! I have always been partial to a few days before the 18th and few after for our area.

Curtis

Bet we get some good reports in the next few days. Heading out there tonight. Hope to get my son his first and wouldn't mind getting a nice buck myself.

jam

Things heating up in our next of the woods in Webster, bigger boys pushing does and on the prowl.

Turk

Things heating up in our next of the woods in Webster, bigger boys pushing does and on the prowl.
Odd how a couple of miles can make such a difference. Had bigger bucks cruising and marking last week. Haven’t seen anything above a 6 since Friday. Little to know interest in the does.

Curtis

Nothing happening in our area (between Preston and Plains). All decent bucks on camera are still nocturnal. Only a few does and the odd immature buck during day and even those are few and far between. Usually seeing rut activity around now. Hopefully later this week will turn it around.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Nothing happening in our area (between Preston and Plains). All decent bucks on camera are still nocturnal. Only a few does and the odd immature buck during day and even those are few and far between. Usually seeing rut activity around now. Hopefully later this week will turn it around.

Hunted in a very similar area this weekend. I saw 2 good bucks cruising later on Saturday morning. Others I talked to saw some young bucks bothering some does but no heavy action. I was surprised to see groups of bucks still feeding together when we checked cams yesterday as well.

jam

Things heated up fast the end of last week after the rain and now back to a crawl. Not much been seen the last two days. Hope it is quite before the storm!

Curtis

Heading out there tonight and hunting over the weeekend. Couple of bucks taken last 2 days and several seen. Sounds like things may have finally heated up out in our part of Webster.
Good luck

Curtis

A below average year. That will be two in a row. Pigs showed up 3 years ago. Wonder if this is the new normal?

DynamicDennis

Overall I guess it is about the same for us My dad did see some pretty good Chasing on Saturday afternoon and missed a big buck. I did not see any Chasing just a couple small deer. I guess he had a hot doe where he was sitting so for five different bucks. We had pigs earlier this year had a couple different sites but overall they don’t stay on our property

DynamicDennis

The worst place we have pigs is right where our property join yours on our east boundary. As soon as we put corn out back there we have hogs we have not been putting any corn out there for about a month