Webster County

Curtis

Been pretty slow so far this year but looks like with cooler temps and several hunters out there this week and next we should see some antlers on the ground.

jam

We have been at it hard the last week and half, sightings have been great for does and small bucks. The small bucks are trying to push the does and have seen two chases take place the last three mornings. However, one was a small buck and the other was a good buck, but not sure he was a shooter cause he was moving so fast and only got a glimpse of him. I personally don't think it is on yet but its getting close!

DynamicDennis

Hope its on by tuesday, have a lot of small bucks at night. I mature buck on cam yesterday around 9 am. Mature bucks moving at night real good

jam

Same for us, does last several days seemed to be hiding for the most part. Several small bucks have been on the move hunting a partner and a couple small bucks pushing a doe. We are waiting on the big boys to start their thing. I project its going to be first of next week on full moon with the cold front coming in then. Lull before the storm!

Curtis

Good going, Dennis. We have a similar report as jam. Not seeing does either singular or groups. A couple of small bucks seen at first or last light. 2 pigs taken this week and a few others seen. Hoping for some cold weather and some warmer action.

jam

Update: Things are picking up on our place. Bucks are on the move hunting a partner, my middle son took a mature buck on Saturday and he was pushing a doe. Many small bucks seen pushing or in pursuit of the does. I predict after this rain front at our place the rut will be in full swing especially with the full moon and cold snap. Things should be fun in the woods come Tuesday thru Thursday!

southernman13

Nice deer Dennis! I’ve skint many a deer on that skin in rack. Matter fact I built it mostly by myself. If anyone tells u different they wrong lol!! Just ask me! Hope y’all all doin good!

Curtis

Well the cold weather got things moving over the past week or so. We have taken two quality bucks and a couple of big nanny does. Lots of little bucks and does sighted. Late mornings seem to be the key. Open fields and clear cuts are active too. Even some fresh scrapes seen. Could be secondary rut activity? A later than normal rut? Who knows but we are grateful for the uptick in activity.

DynamicDennis

Have been noticing the same from our cell cams. Had mature bucks all rutted up, and moving in the daylight last week. I believe it is a strong secondary rut because I know around Halloween we were having good activity then, here it is a month later. Probably about over for the year, now on to turkey!!!!!!!

DynamicDennis

Nice deer Dennis! I’ve skint many a deer on that skin in rack. Matter fact I built it mostly by myself. If anyone tells u different they wrong lol!! Just ask me! Hope y’all all doin good!
Thank you man, you should stop by and have a glass(bottle) or 2 of adult beverages.

Curtis

It is getting close! We are seeing the typical stuff, small bucks and does on camera, a couple of decent bucks but no monsters. Bucks still in velvet but that will change very soon. With all this rain this year, the woods are thick and green. The amount of grapevines is just staggering. We have areas that used to be open woods and are now so choked with vines you can't walk through.
I have only seen a few does with fawns, and only one doe with two fawns.
Far fewer pigs on camera then at any other time in the past 4 years. Basically only have one sounder with 6 pigs showing up with any regularity.
Hope you guys are all doing well and looking forward to the new season.

DynamicDennis

It is getting close! We are seeing the typical stuff, small bucks and does on camera, a couple of decent bucks but no monsters. Bucks still in velvet but that will change very soon. With all this rain this year, the woods are thick and green. The amount of grapevines is just staggering. We have areas that used to be open woods and are now so choked with vines you can't walk through.
I have only seen a few does with fawns, and only one doe with two fawns.
Far fewer pigs on camera then at any other time in the past 4 years. Basically only have one sounder with 6 pigs showing up with any regularity.
Hope you guys are all doing well and looking forward to the new season.
As your neighbor I hope that you appreciate the fact that we are only running 1 feeder area and it is fenced off. Not feeding pigs this year. Not sure about the rest of the guys on our lease, but we are making an effort. Getting less deer pics of course with the fence but better than spending 2k on pig corn, definitely lasts longer also without the pigs getting in it

Curtis

Dennis, between the pigs and the high prices, we have stopped using corn with any regularity. We used one feeder for a week in the spring and again for a week in July just to see what we can lure on to camera. Yes, we appreciate y’all’s restraint. Hope to see you soon.

Curtis

We are ready! Food plots are greening up nicely, stands are ready to go. Nothing killed during archery or muzzleloader (so far). Cameras showing pretty typical stuff, a couple of shooters, but only at night. No monsters but a couple worth taking. Many of the does seen on camera or while in the stand have either been without any fawns or only a single no doubles seen. Looks like there was not a lot of fawns to make to this point. Coyotes are proving to be way to effective and way too many. I also wonder about pigs. Have read some reports about pigs preying on new born fawns. Any way, good luck to you Webster county boys no matter where in Florida you come from! Go Dawgs!

DynamicDennis

We are doing about the same. The last time you came over and chatted with us my buddy Frank that was there passed away two weeks ago has really put a damper on my season. This year is the first year I’m missing the rifle opener.

DynamicDennis

We had been trying for 14 years to get him on the lease he was finally able to get on

Curtis

Oh man, I am so sorry Dennis. I won’t be down again for a couple of weeks. Hopefully we can connect and share a cold drink and toast Frank. My condolences.

DynamicDennis

Good afternoon all. Webster was slow for bucks this weekend. Not really seeing any scrapes or rubs to speak of. Should kick off this weekend I hope. Sat 5 times from Friday to Sunday AM , saw a total of 18 deer only 3 were antlered bucks. 2 splits and a 4pt. Did see deer on every sit except Sunday am, does were still with the mothers so just ain't happening yet