weed eater

normaldave

GON Weatherman
For gas, I have had really good service out of my Husqvarna refurbished LD128. Straight shaft .095 wire, bump feed. It is quite the beast for a non-commercial, small trimmer. Keep non-ethanol gas in it or True Fuel, and you are good to go. I think I've run mine about 10 years now. just replaced the bump feed head for the first time this season.
iu

Lowes Husqvarna 128LD
Lowes has them brand new now for $ 199.00 (see price in cart).
The detachable shaft allows for any of the Trimmer Plus or Ryobi expand-it attachments. I've used the pole saw attachment quite a bit. Just ordered the brush cutter attachment as well.

I guess a Stihl would be the next step up in quality. In chainsaw world it seems Stihl vs. Husqvarna. Stihl for folks that make their living with a saw, Husqvarna typically more than adequate for those of us who don't.

I'm curious about folks with the battery trimmers. My wife is interested in having a second trimmer that isn't as heavy, and doesn't require choke/pull start. I have some Ryobi 18V tools gifted, thinking about the 18V brushless Ryobi. Anybody have one of those?
Ryobi 18V attachment capable trimmer

Last edited:

Havana Dude

Been running echo commercial grade for years. Short stint commercially, mostly around one or two homes now, for about 15 years. Have cleaned all carbs one time. Have run a husky as well, and am impressed with it too.

trents99

I used the Husky above for years and never had a problem. Moved to a place with less grass and figure I didn't need it any longer so I sold it to a friend.

Ended up picking up a side gig to a commercial lawn with an acre to cut. I read good things about the Milwaukee 18v so I went with that one. It didn't disappoint on that job and I still have it. I all ready had a ton of Milwaukee tools and batteries on hand. One of the 12v batteries would get me through that job as well as edging the sidewalks.

bullgator

My Husqvarna is 22 years old and runs like a beast. I used it this morning.

FootLongDawg

20210318_173129.jpgNever thought I would ever own anything electric, but I have slowly added to my collection of Ryobi 40 volt lithium devices including a blower, pole saw, golf cart fan and weed eater. That weed eater I believe would grind up concrete. And the battery lasts for as long as I need to do all the weed eating in my yard plus as an edger with power to spare. It also fully recharges in less than an hour. Never another gas weed eater for me

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Stihl. Maybe Husky. I've used them commercially for nearly 40 years. Echo used to be the best, now they're mostly junk. Look on any serious lawn service trailer, or in my shed, and it will tell the tale of experience. Get a Stihl. The commercial grade one. It will last you most of a lifetime around the house.

Sixes

I wrapped many different brands around tree trunks (mostly box store brands including Echo)and finally broke down and paid the money for a commercial Stihl.

That has been 10+ years ago and I can say that I have not regretted the decision a single time.

I went to Stihl after buying a Stihl blower the prior fall after having an Echo blower that drove me nuts. That day in the fall, I started the Echo and it ran, so I stopped the blower, climbed up on the second story to blow leaves from the gutter and it would not start. I pulled and cussed and pulled and cussed and pulled and cussed some more until finally, I chunked it off the roof onto the driveway busting it up fairly well. I then climbed down and finished it off by beating it on the concrete and against a tree. I got almost a Zen like feeling when I was finished.

Surprisingly, I do not regret it all. I went a couple days later and bought a Stihl blower and that started me on buying quality items that last. That spring, I wrapped whatever brand of trimmer I had at the time around a big oak tree, threw it in the truck and went a bought the Stihl and have never looked back.

Artfuldodger

I went back and forth with gas vs battery and ended up getting the 40 volt Ryobi from Home Depot. The one that says"Works with RYOBI Expand-It Attachments."
I was really looking at one for my daughter and didn't want her having to mess with gas/oil and starting issues.
We both like this Ryobi model and we also bought the Edger attachment. I'm really impressed with the battery life. I mean for home owner use, not for someone in the business.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...ery-and-Charger-Included-RY40270VNM/310463558

killerv

My old 125 husq has been going strong for 15 years. I recently picked up a 128 because of the attachment feature and its a piece of junk compared to the older 125.

ryanh487

What are you using it for?

For keeping the yard trimmed up, i have been EXCEEDINGLY pleased with the little Ryobi ONE+ 18v string trimmer. I have a lot of their tools and several of their batteries already, and bought the blower/trimmer combo for like $100 at home depot. The blower is perfect for cleaning out the garage and blowing off the driveway and back patio after mowing, and the trimmer is plenty for keeping the fence lines, edges of the house, etc clean and is a great edger for the driveway, walkway and edge of the yard near the road. I can clear all that and blow as needed on the same 4 aH battery with 3 of 4 bars left on the charge.

For gas/larger areas, a honda or stihl is hard to beat.

walkinboss01

I bought an echo trimmer 20+ yrs ago and it’s still going strong. It doesn’t start as easy as it use too, but once it gets going it’s tough. I have an echo blower and chainsaw as well. They are all about the same age.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Does nobody run a Red Max???

Over the years, I've run about every maker's offerings, starting with the Green Machine. I've run Echo, Homelite, Ryobi, Makita, Husky, Stihl, and probably some I can't recall right now. The absolute best of the best has been Red Max.

killerv

I bought an echo trimmer 20+ yrs ago and it’s still going strong. It doesn’t start as easy as it use too, but once it gets going it’s tough. I have an echo blower and chainsaw as well. They are all about the same age.

echo is good stuff, I have a 14in chainsaw and edger of theres. Only issues I have is that echo carbs are real finicky, doesnt take much for their carbs to complain about the tiniest spec of trash.

Hillbilly stalker

Grass trimmer = battery powered Ryobi

Weedeater = Husky or Stihl

Weedeater will do both, way less trouble with fuel & carburetors to go battery if you can.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I've had Stihls and several of the cheap brand.

My favorite is the Milwakee M18 battery powered trimmer.

I don't know how long it will go on a battery, I just know the battery I have will run longer than I do. I mainly use it to weed eat the 350' long ditch at the road that is too steep for a mower.

Sure is nice not having to mix gas or run to the store for gas.

The only yard tools I use that are still gas are chainsaws(except for my Milwaukee M18 pole saw) and my Ferris mower.

edit: I also have an M18 impact gun(1,400 ft lbs torque), M18 hedge trimmer and M18 edger. One power head for the yard tools. 2 chargers and 3 or 4 batteries.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Yall help a brother out...

I am buying a battery operated weed eater in next couple days...whats the difference in all these and why is there such a huge discrepancy in price?

Without saying "quality or longevity" unless youve owned em all :bounce:

Kobalt has 4 or 5 different ones with battery from $100 to about $200 with different lengths etc. I dont know a thing about a weedeater except that I hate gas powered ones and can never get them started :p

Only use will be twice a month around the house. Nothing major