Weed taking over

wildcats

Looking for identity of this weed.
I recently put out 2 40 lb bags of a name brand seed. Very little to no grass actually came up. My yard has been taken over by creeping Charley and the weed pictured. Those two weeds came up almost exclusively where I had the seed covered by straw. Hate to start over but have to at this point.
20210724_155249.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like dollar weed/pennywort. Improving drainage will help more than anything.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Looks like dollar weed/pennywort. Improving drainage will help more than anything.
Absolutely. I use Weed-B-Gone as mentioned above when this stuff rears its head in the wet spring months. But once you get rid of it, it's bare dirt underneath.

Wire Nut

When the grass is wet put out weed and feed. It will kill any broad leaf weed and fertilize any grass that may or may not be there. Make sure the grass/weeds are wet or the weed killer will fall to the ground and not stick to the weeds

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You said you put grass seed recently. How recently?

Heartstarter

I’m pretty sure this is dichondra. I live in Mexico Beach Florida and we get over run with dollar weed(penny wort) and dichondra. Dollar weed is MUCH harder to kill than dichondra. Atrazine will kill it quickly but you can’t put it out once the temp is over 80 degrees.