weedeater mud motor

huntmstr

Banned
Actually, the motor I mentioned is a vertical shaft and will work perfectly. It would not require a horizontal shaft, although that would work as well, obviously. But the Sears & Roebuck 5hp verticle shaft is the one with the anti-cyphoning features.

Gaducker

You gona put a ring and pinon in there to tranmit power at a 90 degree angle????

huntmstr

Banned
No, the motor can be mounted on a bracket that will swivel and turn, allowing the shaft to come through the floor of the bracket and giving me a place to attach and mount the shroud around the shaft. YES, you are correct that many can and do use the horizontal shaft motor, but I have found this verticle shaft motor should also work well, and it's more readily available and costs less to obtain. I'm not trying to get into an argument, it's just a design I've come up with and appears it will work. As I said before, I'll keep you posted once I build it.

Gaducker

No, Not trying to argue just trying to understand what you are talking about. So you are saying you think you can use a vertical motor and tip it up on its side to basicaly use it as a horizontial motor? and you can do this because it has anti siphon feature? These small motors do noy have a lube system under pressure. they use a slinger system to get oil up to the wrist pin. The motor you are talking about, has it got a spin on oil filter? Chris

huntmstr

Banned
I am not sure. I was told byt the mechanic I mentioned earlier that this motor would out-perform any other small motor of the same size and purpose for durability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. I believe, as it was explained to me, that these motors have an internal oil pump that keeps them lubed, no matter what position they are mounted.

Gaducker

These motors also have the same carb set up as most others , where the float works off of gravity, the float wont work if its on its side will it?

JWarren

It might be easier to lengthen the shaft on a hand operated trolling motor to accomplish the same thing, it would certainly have more power.

Last edited:

bobman

Briggs and Stratton already makes a 5 hp air cooled outboard and it works great. I have on on my 15 foot gheenoe and it will go on a plane with two guys a dog and decoys in it.

the Aircooled engine is nice because it wont suck up mud duck hunting in swampy areas and unlike most mud motors it has a reverse.

I dont duck hunt anymore and have been thinking about selling the rig if anyones interested.

Copperswilly

mud motor plans

You should be able to find a prop made of plastic used for a small outboard 1 to 3 hp with a mild enough pitch to work with the weedeater. Or a trolling motor prop which you can buy at walmart should work also. If there is to much blade on the prop you can trim it down until the weedeater engine doesnt bog down turing it. Remember a weedeater spins a string head through air water has more resistance