weight distribution/ anti-sway hitch

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
So I've been doing some studying and it appears there are two different styles. One has a chain system while the other is bars (trunnion system).I watched several videos and it looks like with the chain system you have to drill into the trailer tongue to attach while the trunnion system bolts to the tongue.. also it seems there are some issue backing up with the chain system as opposed to the trunnion system. This all so confusing but I'm leaning toward the trunnion system. Advice is appreciated!

hdgapeach

All I've ever used over the last 30+ years of towing is the bar (trunnion) distribution systems. I've never had issues with backing the trailer using that system. Plain and simple; it works! Low maintenance and is adjustable enough to get the towing vehicle weight difference between the front and rear axles distributed correctly. Just be careful when you're loading the bars, and especially when UNLOADING those bars. They have a bunch of tension that can cause serious injuries if you aren't careful.

Deer Fanatic

All I've ever used over the last 30+ years of towing is the bar (trunnion) distribution systems. I've never had issues with backing the trailer using that system. Plain and simple; it works! Low maintenance and is adjustable enough to get the towing vehicle weight difference between the front and rear axles distributed correctly. Just be careful when you're loading the bars, and especially when UNLOADING those bars. They have a bunch of tension that can cause serious injuries if you aren't careful.
Thanks for the advice! I was reading an online review and the guy said to make it easier to load the bars, he gets almost hooked up on the hitch then sets the bars then lets the jack down the rest of the way... that way there is very little tension on the bars and he doesn't even need to use the tool.

Tunaman

BANNED
Thanks for the advice! I was reading an online review and the guy said to make it easier to load the bars, he gets almost hooked up on the hitch then sets the bars then lets the jack down the rest of the way... that way there is very little tension on the bars and he doesn't even need to use the tool.
This is correct. Not sure what you call grunion, I presume it’s what I call torsion bars? They been around over 40 yrs thatI know of. I can’t imagine hauling a trailer of any significant weight without it. Just don’t over do it and get them heavier than you need. I look at it more as a load distribution than anti-sway. There are “anti-sway” systems that are entirely different than load distribution systems. Your friend is talking about “load leveling”. With mine I hook up trailer, with electric tongue jack lift the trailer and truck considerably higher than normal, attach bars and lower trailer. Keep experimenting until the truck and trailer is basically level, maybe tow vehicle only slightly lower in the rear than front. Height of the tow ball on truck is important also in order to accomplish all this.
Also I they are spacing out the axels on some trailers today, this makes all the difference in the world in ease of towing and eliminating sway.

Todd E

The weight distribution system with chains...their bracket does not bolt to camper tongue. At least my dad's didn't. With those type, you also run a separate anti sway friction device.

I have the solid bars. With that system, anti sway is handled by the bars. I do not have to run a separate device. I have no issue backing my camper with the bars "loaded".

If you run the chain bars with a separate friction device, you are supposed to undo the friction(sway) device before backing.

WayneB

I have a curt weight distribution with chains, it's been on 4 campers so far. One bolt per bracket. I utilize the same method connecting, as soon as I can latch the coupler, I mount the bars. Retract jack and drive off. I've also never needed sway control. I can back through about anything, anywhere without issue.
link to a newer version than mine, my head is different but does the same adjustments.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Curt/C17342.html

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Aussie version, but explains weight distribution hitches pretty well.

If you want weight distribution and built in sway control, get the genuine Equal-i-zer brand, not one of the similar sounding copycats. These are tried and true, and a very good value, but a bit creaky from time to time, if not properly lubed.
Equal-i-zer hitch

I don't need one with my current setup, but when it changes, an Equal-i-zer properly sized to my trailer, for the win.

Deer Fanatic

My hitch delivered this week. Gonna put it on in the morning. Hopefully update with pics

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Agreed.

What are you planning on towing it with?
Just be sure to get the right ball size for your trailer, and choose a drop/rise draw bar to get your trailer level when loaded and ready to tow.

You can buy draw bars with the ball already installed, it is so much easier, and worth the few extra dollars to avoid the headache of changing the ball to match the bar you are using.

"splained"
hitch height

tr21

the hitches come with a ball and the "draw bar" as you call it, notice how its made on the video.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Sounds like you are set. With a pop up, and a ram truck, I say no need for a weight distribution hitch.

Just follow the guidelines in the e-trailer link I posted above on hitch height. My guess would be the receiver hitch height on the Ram would be higher than the popup at level, so a drop draw bar (some call it a ball mount) would probably be a good idea.
Ball mount example 4" drop (or 4" rise).

The "kit" or complete ball mounts come with the ball already installed, hitch pin, and clip, so once you determine which ball diameter your new trailer has, and the difference in hitch height, then you can pick the right draw bar (ball mount) to make it tow correctly with your Ram truck.

tr21

thats what i was thinking, he said pop up. with a full size truck it shouldn't be needed