Weimaraner vs. Lab

JerkBait

Banned
i know that a lab is more geared toward duckhuntin but i dont like the way they look compared to a weim. so im ruling out duck huntin as something that i want it to do.... i want a dog to track wounded deer because of the high number of wounded ones at my club this year. SO do you think a weim will make a track dog???

thanks fellas

bobman

yes and a good one if you train it correctly, weims are not bird dogs or weren't originally they are big game hunter, european red deer ( like elk here) and wild boars.

Get what you want, not what we would get, it has to please you

fountain

i have a weim.. he is very hyper and wild, will not listen and is just dumb acting. i would go with a lab as far as hunting

JACKED UP

If you want a weimeraner my neighbor has one I will be willing to give away for him. It is the most high strung, loud, and annoying dog. I truly think a dog's behavior is a direct reflection of their master. I have known a few other people to have weim's and havent been impressed with them, but my neighbors dog has ruined my opinion for the entire breed.

Oh yeah my chocolate lab will run circles around his weim. anytime, anyplace, anywhere. If you were to make a sheet with the pro's and con's Lab vs. Weim a lab will win hands down. There might be one or two things a Weim can beat a lab in but all around the lab will come out on top. People have been breeding labs for hunting and tracking for decades. The breed as a whole is better all around the weims IMO.

Why do you think the state primarily uses lab's on the drug task force and bomb squad? How many weims. have you seen?

Why do you think the state primarily uses lab's on the drug task force and bomb squad? How many weims. have you seen?

A bunch. Weims are particularly favored for police work in England.

There are so many labs because their are about 1000 of them for each weim.

People have been breeding labs for hunting and tracking for decades.

Versus a couple of centuries for weims. Weimaraners were tracking big game before labs ever existed as a breed. In fact they were specifically bred to track big game silently, which is why they don't bay on the trail.

jmharris23

sounds like you want a weim- which is fine (although I wouldn't trade my lab for a truck load of weims), but if thats what you want then go and get one. Just follow the advice of the weim guys on here. They are a very DIFFERENT breed of dog, but can be a great dog too.

BigJimmy57

My male weim will out retrieve all of my friends labs. Hands down. He runs circles around them also. I have never had adog this fast and with that good of a nose. I can hide his bumper and will find it in no time. Both my weims are crate trained. My male sleeps in his kennel even with the door opened.

jmharris23

My male weim will out retrieve all of my friends labs. Hands down. He runs circles around them also. I have never had adog this fast and with that good of a nose. I can hide his bumper and will find it in no time. Both my weims are crate trained. My male sleeps in his kennel even with the door opened.

Then either you have a great weim or they have some really sorry labs!::ke:

easbell

Just found this thread and wanted to add my .02..... My weims will point quail and pheasants (both wild and plantation birds), retrieves to hand, water retrieves, track and find wounded deer and hogs. I have seen many "pointing labs" come through the plantation and only one would point and hold like the owner said it would.

So bring your labs down and lets do some duck and quail hunting. If your lab points more quail than my weim...NO CHARGE. If my weim retrieves more ducks the you pay double!

Any takers????

JerkBait

Banned
well if you can see from my avatar i made my decision......:bounce:

i love the way the weims look but i just wanted to get a lab for the duck swamp....

BME013

I know 2 people with weimaraner and those dogs are a pain in the but. They have a ton of energy and if ya dont put it to use the will drive you crazy

bobman

Just found this thread and wanted to add my .02..... My weims will point quail and pheasants (both wild and plantation birds), retrieves to hand, water retrieves, track and find wounded deer and hogs. I have seen many "pointing labs" come through the plantation and only one would point and hold like the owner said it would.

So bring your labs down and lets do some duck and quail hunting. If your lab points more quail than my weim...NO CHARGE. If my weim retrieves more ducks the you pay double!

Any takers????

Gee! out pointing a lab .....even a pointing lab:rofl:

thats impressive:bounce: