Welders

1gr8bldr

I'm laying out several aluminum build projects. I have a local guy with a shear and break that can bend and cut lots of my pieces. My question... On my boat pods, Would it be stronger, more edge durable to impacts, on a welded edge... or a bent edge?

bassboy1

I'm laying out several aluminum build projects. I have a local guy with a shear and break that can bend and cut lots of my pieces. My question... On my boat pods, Would it be stronger, more edge durable to impacts, on a welded edge... or a bent edge?
Bent. True in general, but especially since you're talking about outside corners with a spoolgun (that's TIG territory for me).
Assuming it's bent by someone who knows aluminum, and it's bend radius requirements. Which a lot of press brake operators that specialize in steel aren't familiar with.

Bend radius in steel is created by the V die opening - the bend radius will end up as a percentage of the die opening, even when using a sharp punch. Aluminum tends to conform to the punch, so it's bend radius is determined by the punch top radius, which requires the operator to have and use radius punches. Too tight a radius, and you end up with micro cracking on the outside of the bend.

There are charts for minimum bend radius for each thickness of each alloy. Don't ignore those.