West Point Lake Catfish

Tbishop25

Tuesday I went out to West Point Lake to try for some catfish. I'm not very familiar with the lake but I managed to get 5 or 6 Blues in couple hours I was there. (only have one photo)

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other spots to reach these Blue catfish from the bank seeing as I don't have a boat. All of the fish were caught from a boat dock a few miles from the northern section of Mooty Bridge.

Attachments

• Blue.jpg
    Blue.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 40

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Catfishing on West Point is overlooked, it is full of them . I’m not much of a cat fisherman but usually a few times a year set out a couple trot lines for some fine fish fry’s . I do know people catch a lot behind the dam and near the 219 bridge off the bank . Good luck and congrats , looks like you already found a good spot

pbradley

Lake is full of catfish. They'll eat just about anything. We catch them above 219 on crappie minnows.

I had a channel cat HAMMER a roostertail last Saturday up New River.

Years ago, I hung and lost a huge flathead in the back of New River on a spinnerbait. I pulled it up over a log and the FH (20-25 pounds-ish) ran out from under the log, grabbed my bait and took off. I fought it for a few seconds, then he let go of the bait.

I was in about 3 feet of water and the whole thing played out like it was in slow motion. Very cool.

Last edited:

little rascal

I've caught some cats drifting or anchored while lineside fishing right in front of the ball park at Franklin, caught some above and below, usually right near the bank. Lot of flatheads and channels in there too.
Caught a huge Flathead there before, hooked below the bridge out front of the ramp, fought and drifted, got him in the boat at the bottom of the park finally.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
If you are looking for bigger blues and flathead, you need to be looking at any public area from Liberty Hill and north. There are a number of public spots and all give you an above average chance of hanging a really good fish. Channel cats can be found all over. It seems like the population of those is at an all time high.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've caught some cats drifting or anchored while lineside fishing right in front of the ball park at Franklin, caught some above and below, usually right near the bank. Lot of flatheads and channels in there too.
Caught a huge Flathead there before, hooked below the bridge out front of the ramp, fought and drifted, got him in the boat at the bottom of the park finally.
Every time I’ve used the ramp at the ball fields , several people are fishing on the bank in that area .