West Point WMA

Mac

Could someone tell me the reasoning they will have a rifle hunt Oct 8-10, two days before ML season opens? Non Quota

Plus this hunt is a week before the youth/Specialty hunt Oct 16-18. I was considering taking my son to the youth hunt, but I hate to follow the slaughter of a rifle hunt the week before?

I looked around the WMA this week and was impressed by what I saw.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
That hunt isn't a slaughter by any means...none of them are really. I enjoy the early rifle hunt and have had some really good luck over the years. All depends on the weather around that time, but movement is usually pretty decent. I always carry my wife the following week on the specialty hunt. I doubt you'll even run into another person on that particular hunt.

Mac

That hunt isn't a slaughter by any means...none of them are really. I enjoy the early rifle hunt and have had some really good luck over the years. All depends on the weather around that time, but movement is usually pretty decent. I always carry my wife the following week on the specialty hunt. I doubt you'll even run into another person on that particular hunt.

Thanks for the response, i saw you had commented on old WP post.

Still puzzles me why that hunt is before the season opens and before the youth. I don't figure the rut is anytime near the either hunt?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the response, i saw you had commented on old WP post.

Still puzzles me why that hunt is before the season opens and before the youth. I don't figure the rut is anytime near the either hunt?

They have to balance the deer hunts with small game opportunities and such, so that is just how the hunts fall. As far as the rut, it is quite a bit later than you would think.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Been the same way for several years that I know of , but it does seem strange . You would think they would at least swap the dates of it and the special hunt , I’ve never hunted the early gun hunt but I took off work this year to give it a try !