Wet wading

flyrod444

I usually wet wade to around middle of November unless I'm fishing the tuck or any stream that one must wade waste deep water alot. Wading waste deep in the tuck all day can be uncomfortable in colder months. Made the mistake of wet wading the tuck in April several days after a snow of about 4". Not sure how cold water was but my legs and other parts were numb when I got out. Don't plan to do that again. Wearing waders in the tuck isn't really a issue since there is no hiking involved. Hiking and or fishing several miles of trout stream is were waders can become a pain and I try to avoid them. I also hate wearing them when rowing a raft down the river but have do in the colder months since I usually have to wade a bit even when floating clients in my raft.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I only wet wade from the first of April-the last of October. I don't fish much the rest of the year. I wet wade commonly in October.

Taxman

All season
You’ll get used to it just have a fire ready for when you get out
I hate waders

Lol, fire? I would spend as much time trying to build a fire with all
the wet wood as I do fishing!! Hopefully get up there soon and things will
have dried out a little.

splatek

UAEC
Lol, fire? I would spend as much time trying to build a fire with all
the wet wood as I do fishing!! Hopefully get up there soon and things will
have dried out a little.

I am admittedly not the best at building a survival fire, I am getting better because I picked up a way better ferorod. But, I usually also pack a pull-start-fire. For about $6-8 it's a fail proof way of starting a fire. I barely weighs anything as well.

That being said, the truck has a working heater as well.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I am admittedly not the best at building a survival fire, I am getting better because I picked up a way better ferorod. But, I usually also pack a pull-start-fire. For about $6-8 it's a fail proof way of starting a fire. I barely weighs anything as well.

That being said, the truck has a working heater as well.

I carry a paraffin soaked 2" long piece of newspaper. Weighs next to nothing and will burn 10-15 minutes.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Yeah I roll the newspaper so it is about 1.5" in diameter and tie a string around it to help get it out of the melted wax.

Taxman

When its cold and wet I usually just close the ends of my Winter Palace
tarp and run the fuel canister for a few minutes. I run a Shangrila SL5
floorless tipi sometimes. I can run my burner in it too.