Wet weather hole in hardwood bottom question

Coop

Was exploring the flooded hardwood on our property with 2 friends on Thursday evenin and found a nice little little natural hole that would be visible and accessible after trees lost their canopy. Depth in the hole was probably no more than 8” at the deepest point. We discussed cleaning up the scrub trees and brush for next season, possibly planting Jap millet, but the big debate was whether to bring in the dozier to make it a little deeper. This hole is only wet from rains and runoff, no creeks nearby or any way to flood manually. With 30 years of leaves on the ground do y’all think that’s why it holds water now? If we scrape away the top layer and there is nothing to act as a seal will the water just drain through the dirt and vanish our hole? This property is in middle Ga and most of the high ground is very sandy soil. I know it might be swags without pics or visiting but curious what some more experienced folks think about the drainage question. Thanks for input!

baddave

i know from watching my pond for about 40 years , it will not rise up until the water table comes up and i bet that's your issue, the water table is real high right now

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
8” is great. I personally wouldn’t mess with it other than removing brush. Any acorns?

Coop

Fair number of ducks flying over headed to river overflow where others are shooting them. Tons of acorns from decent sized oaks on the edges. Wouldn’t surprise me to learn we have had duck visitors when we haven’t been around. Sounds like the “layer” on the ground might not matter so we may peel back another foot or so for next year without disturbing the oaks.