WGST Dumps The Kimmer & Tom Hughes.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Local talk off the dial at GST as hosts are dropped

By RODNEY HO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/22/06

News/talk station WGST-AM (640) dumped its entire local personality staff Tuesday, including veteran talk-show hosts Tom Hughes and Kim "The Kimmer" Peterson.

Starting Tuesday afternoon, the station began airing syndicated personalities from out of town, a much cheaper alternative for a station whose ratings and revenues have dropped precipitously in recent years.

Once a regular top 10 presence in the 1990s, WGST ranked 20th in the Atlanta market among listeners 25 to 54 over the summer, according to Arbitron.

Management is keeping only syndicated giant Rush Limbaugh in its daytime lineup. Limbaugh, the nation's biggest talk-show personality, has the only program pulling in passable ratings at WGST.

"We haven't been as successful as we have hoped to have been at GST," said Chuck Deskins, market manager for Clear Channel Atlanta. "We're making changes to try to better position ourselves in the marketplace."

A Wall Street Journal financial show replaces Hughes, who's been at WGST on and off for nearly 30 years, from
5 to 8 a.m. Cincinnati-based talk show host Mike McConnell takes over for Denny Schaffer from 8 a.m. to noon. Dave Ramsey, a Brentwood, Tenn., financially oriented talk host, grabs the 3-7 p.m. slot from Peterson, who was hired at GST in 1992.

Schaffer, the mid-morning host who's been at the station for 14 months, was informed of his firing Tuesday after his show was over. He said he didn't see it coming. "I'm going to enjoy the holiday, love my family and get on my knees and see what God has for me," he said.

Hughes was the only personality who got to say goodbye on the air. "Things could have been done differently, mercy yes," he told listeners. "But I do know it's not your fault, not you out there listening."

Before signing off, he quoted a famous World War II song: "Til we meet once again, you and I, wish me luck as you wave me goodbye."

In the 1990s, GST was a solid second behind dominant news/talk station WSB-AM, especially when it was simulcast on the FM dial at 105.7. But when GST lost its FM signal in 2000 to a rock-music format, GST's ratings began to slide, exacerbated by the loss of listeners outside the Perimeter who couldn't pick up the AM signal, especially at night.

When GST grabbed the Atlanta Braves broadcasts in 2005, it didn't help the station, since many people chose to listen to the games simulcast on 96rock (WKLS-FM) instead. As revenues dropped, GST cut news people and support staff for many of the personalities, especially Peterson. The station will still air the Braves next season.

Mike Rose, who worked as Peterson's producer from 1992 to 1996, said the Kimmer thrived as a patriotic war veteran, a former Marine with a jokey demeanor and several catchphrases such as "Semper Fi" and "Gotta go. You're killing me!" Peterson was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

"People think he was dumbing down to play to the audience," Rose said, "but you could hear there was good subtle satire on the show."

Neal Boortz, who worked at WGST for many years before moving to WSB-AM in 1992, said "the real raw deal is Tom Hughes. He's a class act, a great news man. I hate to see him go."

Michael Harrison, editor for trade publication Talkers magazine, said syndication is a common option for struggling stations. "You could save the cost of an entire salary, not to mention production and support staff," he noted.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I hate to hear that........Peterson's satire about getting the ax came true.

I'm sure he was aware of the ratings. I sent an e-mail to their program manager yesterday informing them they now have me from noon to 3 only Mon-Fri.

BKA

Banned
My ride home from work will not be the same without the Kimmer. I hate that they let him go!

BIGABOW

Clear Channel ___ if you ask me,the Kimmer was the only thing worth listening to anymore.looks more and more everyday like we are gonna have to go to that X-M radio stuff-more $$$$$$ out of our pockets!

Cypress94

I hate to hear that "The Kimmer" is gone. When I moved out of range, and out of Atlanta almost 3 years ago, that show was the only thing I missed. Now when I go home it wont' be there any more. Too bad. I hope somebody else picks him up. I personally would rather have seen Rush dropped and The Kimmer kept on!!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Kimmer was sometimes a little crude for me, but I hate to hear about anybody who loses their job.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'd rather they kept 'em both. I guess I'll be gettin' "Hannitized" after 3.

Cypress94

Uuuughh...I'd rather be shot than listen to 3 hours of Hannity...30 minutes on the way home is all I can take!! I'm ready for some humor in talk radio...these suits that are just mouth pieces for the Republican party are sounding so old! Don't get me wrong, I'd rather hear a Republican than a Democrat any day, but talk radio needs something fresh that is conservative but not purely politically motivated.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Uuuughh...I'd rather be shot than listen to 3 hours of Hannity...30 minutes on the way home is all I can take!! I'm ready for some humor in talk radio...these suits that are just mouth pieces for the Republican party are sounding so old! Don't get me wrong, I'd rather hear a Republican than a Democrat any day, but talk radio needs something fresh that is conservative but not purely politically motivated.

Sean's the bomb on the radio, he doesn't have to put up with Alan Colmes.

Killdee

I have not listened to the kimmer much since they lost the news maker line,That stuff was hilarious,the girl he had on after was not that funny to me.I will miss Kimmer and Tom.

westcobbdog

sorry to see the Kimmer go but that's life.I hope he lands somewhere else or in a better job--he should have a ton of contacts. I do like Dave Ramsey alot, he makes Clark Howard look like a knucklehead to me!

matthewsman

Clear channel?

They seem to be getting rid of ALL their personalities and going to preprogramed radio_On regular guys website,they were speaking of this and how the targeted demographic of classic rock and talk radio(us)were listening more to XM and Sirius,and had the money for cds and stuff.That's why the other channels geared toward young folks (hip-hop/alternative/dance)and (no offense intended at all,just referencing their website) country stations were still doing well:huh:

Holton

Bout the same here. Don't take long to get enough of Hannity. Though I agree with most.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
WGST's competitiors are eating their lunch, in particular WGKA, a Salem Radio affiliate. Their format is all syndicated national talk show hosts, which are cheaper to run than local talent, and the talent they have is top shelf.

I enjoy listening to Bill Bennett's "Morning in America" show on my way to work. If they put him on 12-3, he'd give 'ole El Rushbo a serious run for his money.

Latest posts