What 300 WSM bullet do you prefer?

WillC

I've shot the 180 gr. Federal Speer Grand Slam last year and want to switch to a 165 grain. Any recommendations on a good 165 grain bullet? I don't want a ballistic tip that crumbles apart inside the deer and doesn't leave a good exit hole. Thanks in advance

Lead Poison

I don't shoot a 300WSM, but if I did, I'd try one of the following:

Nosler 165 Partitions
Hornady 165 Interbonds

300's are FAST, so I'd stick with a bullet that hopefully would hold up if it had to be used at close range where the velocity is highest.:shoot:

Last year, I had a Hornady 162 BTSP come apart on a 150lbs 7pt in Alabama. Granted, the deer dropped in his tracks, but it did not completely penetrate on a broadside shot. I really thought that 162gr bullet should have stayed together and exit on that size of deer. I guess I was wrong. ::huh: I found the jacket and the base of the bullet logged under the skin on the opposite side.

RamblinWreck

I really like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, now sold by Speer. Will not blow up, near or far. I also like the Swift Scirroco. When I get my 300 WSM project finished, I am going to test a lot of bullets and find the best load for my rifle.

woody116

I dont have a vast knowledge in the area, but last week I saw what a 180 gr nosler partion bullet will do to a 350 black bear. We recovered the bullet and it was impressive.
Bear was shot in the right shoulder, went thru and tore up both lungs and hit the left shoulder. Dropped him on the spot.

180 gr Federal Vital Shock

Muygrande

For deer, 150gr SST , I can get close to 3400 fps with this bullet out of my Coyote and 5/8" groups. :type:

Larry Rooks

Regardless of caliber, the ONLY bullet I hunt with is the Barnes X or XLC, nothing tuffer nor will anything penetrate as good.

TurkeyCreek

larry,

is that the same bullet that federal is using called Barnes trople shock x-bullet?

does it get good expansion at close ranges on whitetails??? i am looking into what my options are for my new 270 wsm.....currently i am going with winchester silver ballistic tips, but i am worried some about how they will perform on a shoulder shot. i've heard everything from blow-up without an exit to total destruction of the off side shoulder.. ::huh:

DCOMP54

30 cal bullets

I HAVE A FRIEND THAT LOADS HIS OWN AND MINE TO FOR MY 30 CAL. I USE THE 190 GRAIN VLD BERGERS. I AM MOVING DOWN TO THE 168 BERGERS ON SOME LOADS THIS YEAR TO SEE HOW THEY DO WAY OUT THERE. :cool: HE USES THE 168 GRAIN VLD BERGERS FOR HIS 300WSM.
LAST SEASON I SHOT DEER OUT TO 620 YARDS WITH THE 190 VLD's AND ALL WERE THRU & THRU. DIDNT RECOVER ANY OF THEM. ALL MY FRIENDS SHOTS WERE THE SAME WITH HIS 300 WSM. ALL HAND LOADS. I WOULD BE AFRAID OF THE WIN.SILVER TIPS WITH ANY BONE IN THE WAY. MY BROTHER HAD A 270 WITH WIN SILVER TIPS AND HE LOST BOTH SHOULDERS ON 2 DEER, A BIG MESS. :cool:

Larry Rooks

Maddog
The Triple shock is a new variation of the original X bullet. I have not used the triple shock yet but understand it to be agreat bullet, like the X. I use the 130 gr XBT and XLC in my 270 WSM and get great results. I have shot deer with them from 30 yards to 500 and never had one fail me. Complete penetration even on the longer shots. On those deer that do more than drop in their tracks, the X causes a massive blood trail that anybody could follow.
As far as bench rest accuracy goes, they may not be the ones that you get the tightest groups out of, but for hunting laods you can't beat em

TurkeyCreek

larry,
thanks for the info...i may give the federal loads a try this year.

RamblinWreck

DCOMP54 said:
I HAVE A FRIEND THAT LOADS HIS OWN AND MINE TO FOR MY 30 CAL. I USE THE 190 GRAIN VLD BERGERS. I AM MOVING DOWN TO THE 168 BERGERS ON SOME LOADS THIS YEAR TO SEE HOW THEY DO WAY OUT THERE. :cool: HE USES THE 168 GRAIN VLD BERGERS FOR HIS 300WSM.
LAST SEASON I SHOT DEER OUT TO 620 YARDS WITH THE 190 VLD's AND ALL WERE THRU & THRU. DIDNT RECOVER ANY OF THEM. ALL MY FRIENDS SHOTS WERE THE SAME WITH HIS 300 WSM. ALL HAND LOADS. I WOULD BE AFRAID OF THE WIN.SILVER TIPS WITH ANY BONE IN THE WAY. MY BROTHER HAD A 270 WITH WIN SILVER TIPS AND HE LOST BOTH SHOULDERS ON 2 DEER, A BIG MESS. :cool:

DCO: Take off the "caps lock" and stop yelling! ;) I don't recommend anyone shoot at a deer at 600 yards, much less with a VLD, which is a hollow point match bullet with a thin J-4 jacket.

Derek

I am going to try the new Winchester Accubonds this year to see how they perform in my Browning A-bolt 300WSM.