What a cool rock! Its hard.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
There are some agates around Lake Superior that are famous,that doesn't look much like agate though. Looks sedimentary almost. Is it really hard like quartz?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Beautiful rock,you might try and contact a gem and mineral club in your area and let someone eyeball it for you.

gunnurse

Meteor from the strike that formed the Carolina Basin. It could be dangerous to hold. I volunteer to take the risk for you. I’ll take it, and you don’t even have to pay me to do it.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I spent a week with a Navy buddy and his family near Munising in '72 I was given a few small agates during that visit. I think I killed a Ruffed Grouse on that trip,me and my friend shot at the same time,anyway. I took it and some first class blueberries home in an awol bag,frozen of course. That is beautiful country in October,can't say about January,don't want to find out.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Petoskey stones are famous,,,,this isn't one,,,,
Lake Superior is also famous for it's agates, as Fishfryer mentioned. Keep in mind though a lot of what one person call an agate isn't an agate. Here is an agate from Lake Superior;
Agat_Lake_Superior_-_Duluth%2C_Minnesota%2C_USA..jpg

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Sandstone is defined as a rock which is composed of sand-sized grains of various minerals mostly of uniform size and often are smooth and rounded. Chert is a hard, dark, opaque sedimentary rock which is composed of silica with an amorphous fine-grained texture.

So RedHills rock may be sedimentary but it's not sandstone like in the pic you posted. Since RedHills rock is opaque, we know it's not Chalcedony. It is waxy looking enough to be Chert.

If chert is dark some call it flint. Others say flint has to be dark. Jasper does not have a consistent meaning to different users of the term, and therefore it has no real scientific value. Jasper is usually just red chert.

Last edited:

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Think Stan is half right and I was half wrong. After some reading, I didnt realize the flints and cherts are considered sedimentary. I was focused on the sandstone element you mentioned.