What a hunt !!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
First off I didn’t kill a bear but that would of just been icing on the cake ! Got to spend 2 days of walking in some beautiful north Ga hills with a fine young man that I really enjoyed talking to and sharing hunting and life stories with . After our hunt I felt like I had been taught a lot of what it took him a lifetime to learn. I’m still asking myself why he would take time out of his busy life to share it and spend time with almost a complete stranger . I did get to see a beautiful Ga bear in the wild and that was one of my goals on this trip , thanks brother and I hope I can return the favor one day chasing some animals in my territory, flatland lol ! I didn’t add his name on purpose , he can speak up if he wishes ! I will be back and get my bear hopefully before I’m to old to climb those hills ! I’d also like to add that we done quite a bit of walking and didn’t see a deer track which really saddens me , only deer sign I seen was a couple old rubs that was done by a big old ghost buck ! Good luck to you mountain hunters the rest of the season , y’all deserve every animal you see or kill !

Buckman18

We are also having a slow start, Ive walked 15 - 16 miles in the past 2 weeks and im finding a little bit of bear sign everywhere and concentrated bear sign nowhere. Just gonna have to keep after it and sooner or later it'll happen.

Sounds like a great time! I was fortunate to see a couple bears, coyote, deer and a gobbler! Smelled a bunch of pigs that weren't that far from me.

I love going up there!! A little over 4 hour drive makes for a long weekend or I'd be up there this weekend.

From my observations it looked like bears are on the move looking for trees. They are also feeding on mountain oaks. I found one tree that was destroyed!

fatback

Sounds like a good time. There are certainly some fine folks on the forum that have been very helpful to me in trying to figure out the N. GA bear hunting. I’m leaving this weekend for 3 days of trying to cross paths with a legal bear. I’m really looking forward to being in that country and seeing what happens. Thanks to everybody who had offered advice and suggestions.

strothershwacker

We are also having a slow start, Ive walked 15 - 16 miles in the past 2 weeks and im finding a little bit of bear sign everywhere and concentrated bear sign nowhere. Just gonna have to keep after it and sooner or later it'll happen.
My findings as well. Tween mtn olives, muscidine, black gum, hickory nuts, sawtooth and red oaks I can't find 'em locked in on any particular one thing yet. I figure it'll be better in a couple weeks.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Im glad yall had a good time.

From the reports im seeing:

I think ill sit in my favorite funnel this weekend. Fresh sign or not

slapdog

Fantastic. Going to be up there starting next week. Don't know anything about bear hunting .But going to do some walking and see if I find any sign. At the least will get some exercise and maybe learn a little. At 66 starting a little late but who knows.

Doug B.

I'm glad you had a good time Ant. Every year is different. Some years everywhere you look is covered up in sign. The next year it might be hard to find any sign, then the next it might be spotty. It all has to do with their food source. Just keep trying. It will eventually work out. Until then just keep enjoying the experience.

jbogg

That sounds like a great trip. We had a small group hunting for several days as well, and had a similar experience. It seemed like some bears had started feeding on hard mast, but many were still in their summer patterns. Lots of Chestnut Oaks as well as Red’s falling now, so they should be switching over at any time. Bears are smart critters, but they sure didn’t follow the script for the opener. Be careful antharper, those mountains can be addictive. Glad you had a good time, you were learning from one of the best. Hope to see you up there one day.

splatek

UAEC
I second @jbogg comment, be careful because then hills are addictive. Before long you’ll be up there trout fishing, and hunting. You won’t even remember what middle or south GA LOOKS LIKE. lol
Sounds like a great trip. i bet you learned a ton