What are you shooting?

strothershwacker

I get a lot of trad questions all the time from guys that are considering picking up the struggle stick. They ask what poundage should I shoot, arrow spine, what weight broadhead, ect.... not knowing they've opened the bottomless box. Well, I'm 6'4" 235#'s. I shoot blah, blah blah...
SO I thought bout a thread where each of us can post such info to maybe help newbies on the learning curve by maybe seeing what works for others. Theres tons of info on this stuff, but I woulda loved to seen a list like this from guys I trusted when I started. How bout a simple list?
1.Draw length
2.bow length
3.bow weight
4.arrow length & spine
5.feild point/broadhead weight

splatek

UAEC
1. 30"
2. 60",62", and a 44"horsebow <-- benefit of these little bows is short end-to-end and long draw lengths
3. all in the 45-55# range
4. ±31" with everthing, 30" cut from the shop; 340-350 spine
5. 200

But @strothershwacker now you have to do the list, too, right?

dm/wolfskin

1. 26.5"
2. 58"
3. 51# @ 28"
4. 27" GT 700
5. FP 175g BH 200g

The last 2 months I've been shoot my Super Shrew longbow. The last 4 years I've hunted with my Trad Tech ll with 45# limbs. I accidently found out that my Shrew like a GT 700 cut at 27 inches with 50 grain insert and 175 field point. FOC is around 21%. I shot through paper the other day just to see what kind of tear I had. At 7 yards I had a 3/4 inch tear horizonal. At 15 and 20 yards I had bullet holes. Total weight with field points is 400 grain and with my Grizzly broadheads it's 420 grains. We'll see how it goes this year with the Super Shrew Samurai.

Attachments

• wilkesco.shrewbow.jpg
    wilkesco.shrewbow.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 22

strothershwacker

It's funny that I see some combinations listed that aren't really supposed to "work", including mine but somehow we're pulling it off?. This is another aspect I love bout traditional bowhunting is the equipment & set up is as unique as the individual toting it.

dm/wolfskin

Yeah, I usually shoot 500 and 600 spine arrows for hunting and 500 grains or over in total arrow weight. The 700 spine arrows were for 3D with my ILF and 40 pound limbs. The penetration is just as good as far as I can tell in my yard targets. 225 grains up front for the field points and 250 and one 280 grains up front for my broadheads. Cutting my arrows down to 27 inches makes them stiff enough for my 26 1/2 draw. We'll see how the critter test goes.

ecoutside

Yeah, I usually shoot 500 and 600 spine arrows for hunting and 500 grains or over in total arrow weight. The 700 spine arrows were for 3D with my ILF and 40 pound limbs. The penetration is just as good as far as I can tell in my yard targets. 225 grains up front for the field points and 250 and one 280 grains up front for my broadheads. Cutting my arrows down to 27 inches makes them stiff enough for my 26 1/2 draw. We'll see how the critter test goes.
Likely not good for the critters with your track record.

strothershwacker

Yea I'd say the critters are in trouble

TIMBERGHOST

Howdy!

1. Draw length 30"
2. Bow length 62" or 64" Recurve or 68" Longbow
3. Bow weight 50#@28"/55#@30"
4. Arrow length & Spine (@ 400 spine) CE 250, 30 & 3/4" long
5. Field point/broadhead weight +20 gr weight in back of standard insert, 155 gr pt/bh (or standard insert and 175 gr pt).

I shoot a B50 Dacron String with this set up. Experimentation with a FF String has revealed that I can pretty much shoot the same arrow by artificially increasing spine - just reduce point weight by @ 10 to 20 grains.