What basic equipment is needed for foodplotting?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good article!!

I think my son and I are OK equipment wise. We have at least 2 of everything listed as basic plus more. But don’t let our wives know please.

If I had to add anything it would be a subsoiler.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Yeah, a subsoiler is good, with a tractor capable of pulling it!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, a subsoiler is good, with a tractor capable of pulling it!

I have a single shank that I pull with my old MF 135 diesel. It’s supposed to be 45 hp engine 33 hp drawbar. Using the subsoiler requires keeping your hand on the lift handle due to bogging down at times.

Jim Boyd

Times have changed now but I did ok using no more than a 4’ bush hog and 4’ disc.

I don’t remember the model number now but it was a 2 cylinder MF that made 18 hp.

I recall I made a powerline plot one year and a guy looked at the plot and at my rig and he asked “you did that... with that????”

Kdog

I miss my old 8N with a small set of discs and a 5' bush hog. Could do pretty much anything with it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I miss my old 8N with a small set of discs and a 5' bush hog. Could do pretty much anything with it.

If you don’t mind saying how much did you sell the 8N and harrow for, and when?

shdw633

I have a Yanmar YM2200, tiller, disc, bushhog, plotmaster 400 , drag and Moultrie spreader which gets me through the seasons pretty good. If I had a wish list it would be for at least a 35hp tractor with a FEL and a grain drill and I think I would be good to go for what I do.

Canuck5

Canuck5

My Dad there .... he started farming with horses and when he was at a "show" they offered him the chance to do it again. :)

Canuck5

LOL, good luck with that!

Canuck5

They were definitely a beautiful pair!

ssramage

Older post but this is a good article. I find myself needing a tractor more and more, just haven't quite convinced myself to do it. Friend of mine offered to come do my light tractor work this year, so I think I bought myself a bit of time.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Older post but this is a good article. I find myself needing a tractor more and more, just haven't quite convinced myself to do it. Friend of mine offered to come do my light tractor work this year, so I think I bought myself a bit of time.

If you are handy with working on stuff an older tractor and a few 5 ft implements is a good option. You will find yourself doing more than deer farming with it.

ssramage

If you are handy with working on stuff an older tractor and a few 5 ft implements is a good option. You will find yourself doing more than deer farming with it.

That's about the only way I'd be able to do it. I'd like to think I'd use it for more than deer, but that's about it honestly. I live on an island and have virtually no use for it outside of my hunting properties.

Latest posts