What brand of bullet?

HeadHunter

If you were going to exchange a box of remington CL 150gs for a box of 130g bullets for a Ruger MK II 270 win..what brand would be best? Is there a certain brand better than the others? Been looking at the remington again, winchester, and hornady....thanks

Last edited:

TurkeyCreek

my suggestion would be the remington core-lokt 130 gr. i picked up box this morning at BPS for my son.

Randy

In the small caliber 270 I would go with a premium bullett. Like maybe a Nosler, barnes X or some other premium bullett. Manufacturer really does not matter.

duckbill

Different rifles like different bullets. There's usually only one way to find out, and that's to try them. There are a lot of good factory bullets nowadays. Federal premium has got some great ones, but there hard to find sometimes.

Kdog

I am useing the Barnes X in my A-bolt. Shooting a clover leaf 3 shot group at 100 yards with the center punched by all three. They are PMC 150's. Mine patterns better with the 150.

Kdog

Jeff Phillips

For my .06 I got some Federal Premium Vital-Shok, 150 grain Sierra Gameking STSP.

It's a little late to be going through a bunch of boxes looking for the best groups, but I would try Fed. Premium's 130 grain Vital-Shok and maybe their Ballistic Tip in 130. I don't care for Ballistic Tip bullets, but many others swear by them.

I just checked their website:
Fed. Premium 130 grain.
Nosler Ballistic Tip and Sierra BTSP have a muzzle velocity of 3060fps. Sighted in 1.4" high at 100 puts you dead on at 200 and 6.5" low at 300.

Either will perform for you!

I am sure BPS has the Vital-Shok's, I was there AGAIN last night ;)

Malimn

Both my 7mm Mag and 308 loads I use 150 grain Nosler Balistic Tip Boattail rounds and have zero problems with them.. :) Been very accurate as well as very strong bringing down deer when I shoot em :)

bevills1

You may spend more money on premium ammo if you wish, but premium ammo is unnecessary for deer in my experience. For elk, moose or bear I'd go premium but not for deer or smaller game. The Remington Bronze point is the best bullet I've ever used for deer, but it's available in 270 and 30 caliber only.

D

dave

Randy said:
In the small caliber 270 I would go with a premium bullett. Like maybe a Nosler, barnes X or some other premium bullett. Manufacturer really does not matter.

A 7mm-08 is 272 caliber ;) So you hunt with a small caliber :eek:

Just ribbing U :D ;)

I use ballistic tips in all calibers. Works for me. :clap:

H

HT2

Just check 'em out.....

Ga. Arms....

They have very good ammo.....

The "ballistic tips" have been very, very good to me...... :clap: :clap:

Carp

I've shot them in my Browning and they dropped the deer in their tracks. I also shoot Hornady 130 grain interbond. Excellent. :clap:

Last edited:

duckbill

I load all of mine with Sierra Gamekings, mainly due to cost/performance. I believe Nosler, Swift and Hornady make awesome deer bullets, they just cost a little more. I love my gamekings :clap: .

Randy

Dave,
Where did you get that information?

mpowell

i've shot the remington core-lokt 130 gr. cartridges out of my .270 for years and don't see any reason to buy something else. they do the trick for me.

Buford_Dawg

I 2nd what Mspowell says

i've shot the remington core-lokt 130 gr. cartridges out of my .270 for years and don't see any reason to buy something else. they do the trick for me.

Slasher

I don't know yet, as am finding out what this new rifle likes... I agree that More money doesn't necessarily mean more performance...

I look for 3 things in ammo:
1.) Accuracy- this usually means consistency -less
deviation from shot to shot

2.) performance- hard to tell until you shoot something
with it; some like a bullet that stays
together and penetrates above all else,
others want energy deposit and could
care less about coming out the other end.
3.) Desctional Desity- Most rifles are designed with a
barrel to shoot around SD of .240. Plus
.240 will about guarantee good
penetration and very stable flight... but
this is almost easy as you pick middle of
the road bullets...

.243/100 gr SD.242
.25/120 gr SD.260
.7mm/140gr SD.248
.270/130 gr SD.242
.30/165 gr SD.248

sure you can kill with less, but I prefer to be more sure...

D

dave

Randy said:
Dave,
Where did you get that information?
Woopse..... a 7mm-08 is .284 caliber ... still a baby though.
;)

.284" (7mm) diameter bullets = .0633 frontal area

* 7mm-08 Remington
* 7x57 Mauser
* .280 Remington
* 7mm Magnum (all)

Randy

Thanks Dave. I thought you knew something I didn't. As I have stated before .284 is as baby as I think should be use on whitetail. Yes I know deer are taken with 22 cal every day but this is my opinion.

hornady light mag in 30-06 165 grain.best bullet i have shot throught my o6.I switched to them 3 years ago and have had all but 1 deer drop in there tracks :shoot: