What can make a non-believer believe?

Artfuldodger

I was wondering what it takes to make a non-believer start believing? If a person really doesn't believe, even if he wanted to, can I make him believe?
Perhaps this person is an Atheist but it could apply to a Hindu or Muslim as well.

Artfuldodger

I was thinking of a non-believer and comparing them to a homosexual. The homosexual might pretend to be a heterosexual. He may even try to live as a heterosexual. He many have even convinced himself he is a heterosexual but deep down, as hard as he tries, he is still a homosexual.
Maybe a bad analogy, but couldn't someone really try to be a Christian and really not have had the awakening that is really needed? This awakening being from the Spirit or at least from that person's inner spirit. They may even really want to be a Christian because their loved ones are but something just keeps on blinding them from the truth.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Then I got to thinking of this on a national level. Could Israel suddenly believe even if they wanted to or India. If ones eyes are blinded so they can't see? Then back to Pharoah or Esau?
Not that any of those wanted to see but suppose an individual did? To me it seems to take more than just that person wanting to believe. Maybe like a drunkard or drug user, they really want to stop but something deeper is keeping them.

Artfuldodger

There could be individuals or nations out there that think they are Christians because they are trying to believe but really aren't because they can't. Their eyes have not been open even if they think they have.

BANDERSNATCH

I agree. People believe what they want to believe, irregardless of the evidence. Everyone, including atheists, believe in miracles. It’s just which virgin birth: of Jesus or or the universe? :)

Newt2

I was wondering what it takes to make a non-believer start believing? If a person really doesn't believe, even if he wanted to, can I make him believe?
Perhaps this person is an Atheist but it could apply to a Hindu or Muslim as well.
Why do you want to make someone believe?

Artfuldodger

Why do you want to make someone believe?
I don't and that's one point of the post. I can't make someone believe. The post was also about that person themselves may not be able to make their self believe. They may would like to believe for the security of it but maybe just can't see it.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I was thinking about those six Spanish Friars that came to Georgia(Guale) and converted hundreds of Native Americans. The friar assigned to the mission of Tolomato (near Eulonia, Georgia) did not allow a baptized, Guale man to take a second wife. Juanillo, who was the heir to a Guale chiefdom, opposed this Christian teaching on marriage and killed the friar. Juanillo and the men he assembled continued to the other missions to kill all the friars.

I guess one could say Juanillo unconverted himself. He perhaps wanted to believe in Christianity but obviously not enough to believe. It must have been a fake conversion.
I wonder how many men have been fake converted by other men instead of God?

RegularJoe

Original Post Question: "What can make a non-believer believe?".....
My 2 cents: Only the Holy Spirit converts one's heart to acceptance of Jesus.
I am not posting this to in any way be contentious with those Christians who subscribe to man's self-will (aka, free-will) ... self-determination of this & that ... as per Pelagius and on and on. I respect said self-will / free-will / Pelagius views / beliefs / perspectives because I do have a studied understanding of the bases of such views.