What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whit90

Wish I could hunt blackies in Big Canoe:). If you know you know.....I've just been upgrading camping gear and I can't seem to have enough ESEE knives.
speaking of camping gear, I’m getting a used utility trailer to convert into a camper. Probably going to keep it super simple this season, but may build it out nice enough to take my wife and son on some camping trips after this season.

Sautee Ridgerunner

Went to a place Ive been eyeing on the map for a while. The road in was horrendous. The ridge ended up having been cut recently so it was all poplar.

Went to check one of my old spots. Bumped one bear. Did lots of bushwhacking. Acorns looked good at first then most looked overly small. Lotta driving and walking. Basically learned nothing. Lol. Thats the way it is.

Did pick some chants.

splatek

UAEC
Finally got up to the hills and strolled around. Found some old sign, small acorns, and maybe a spot to sit near the opener. Of course come august I’ll be as confused as ever, so I’ll just keep shooting my bow. Was thinking about hanging up the bow I built and buying a good bow bully by a proper bowyer, but then I was reminded my binoculars suck.

ddd-shooter

Finally got up to the hills and strolled around. Found some old sign, small acorns, and maybe a spot to sit near the opener. Of course come august I’ll be as confused as ever, so I’ll just keep shooting my bow. Was thinking about hanging up the bow I built and buying a good bow bully by a proper bowyer, but then I was reminded my binoculars suck.
Shooting something with a bow you built would be epic! What kinda binos you running?

splatek

UAEC
Shooting something with a bow you built would be epic! What kinda binos you running?

Yeah. My bow is pretty ragity though. I’m running an old pair of leuopolds 10xi forget. Yesterday compared to my buddies new vortex 12x40s mine seemed like they were cloudy. Took them home and seems like one monocular won’t quite settle on a focus point. So when looking two eyed it’s blurry. But I seem to be able to use one eye fine. ?
It’s not an immediately necessary purchase. Hunting with a stick means things need to be throwing distance away anyhow. But it’s fun to glass off a hill onto and into other drainages. I’d never done that up there before.

Sautee Ridgerunner

I think Im gonna upgrade to the 12x vortex cuz my eyes are terrible steve. Ill give you a good deal on my 10x if you want. Theyre fantastic. Have carried them for years up here doing this as well as glassing long distance in ID and AZ. Plus lifetime warranty.

Sautee Ridgerunner

I did about 7 more miles today. Found a really good new place up north. Just feels right.

Checked one of my favorites and, while it’s currently loaded with bears, I dont see the acorns at that elevation making it.

Chants have started down low. Maybe 2000 feet and down. Flushed a grouse and saw a longbeard today. Not bad.

ddd-shooter

Yeah. My bow is pretty ragity though. I’m running an old pair of leuopolds 10xi forget. Yesterday compared to my buddies new vortex 12x40s mine seemed like they were cloudy. Took them home and seems like one monocular won’t quite settle on a focus point. So when looking two eyed it’s blurry. But I seem to be able to use one eye fine. ?
It’s not an immediately necessary purchase. Hunting with a stick means things need to be throwing distance away anyhow. But it’s fun to glass off a hill onto and into other drainages. I’d never done that up there before.
I'm a bow hunter, so I'm always in (relative) throwing distance as well.
If I ever upgrade my leupolds, it'll be with the best glass money can buy. I keep thinking about doing that too, but I rarely need to see anything further than 150 yards, so I'm convincing myself there's not much point in it (for now).

Idk why, but buying hunting gear makes me feel like I'm participating in the hunt even though Im clearly not. But it's a way for me to put my mind on hunting, so that's a win.

Professor

I think Im gonna upgrade to the 12x vortex cuz my eyes are terrible steve. Ill give you a good deal on my 10x if you want. Theyre fantastic. Have carried them for years up here doing this as well as glassing long distance in ID and AZ. Plus lifetime warranty.
I picked up a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks in 12 power. My eyes are happy. My Leupold 10 power binocs are probably better, but the vortex pair is more powerful.

Professor

That dadgum pack thread got me looking at new packs. And tents. And a lot of stuff that has improved over the last couple decades. Everything is lighter, smaller, and more expensive!!!!
EXPENSIVE. If my young self found out what I paid for all my new gear he would probably slap me. But, it is so much better, lighter, and warmer than the old gear, and it does a better job separating me from all the December water in the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.