What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whit90

Well, I went on my little adventure. Hiked 2 miles deep and setup camp. Got on one good bear yesterday morning, but it got into a thicket before it reached bow range. Checked an new spot yesterday evening with no luck. This morning I went back in for the bear I encountered, but had to turn around and pack up to go take care of a now sick wife and baby boy. All in all it was a good trip and I was really happy to have an encounter with a good bear. Momma and my boy are doing fine. Now I’m going to fine me a good spot that’s closer to the truck ?.

Professor

Well, I went on my little adventure. Hiked 2 miles deep and setup camp. Got on one good bear yesterday morning, but it got into a thicket before it reached bow range. Checked an new spot yesterday evening with no luck. This morning I went back in for the bear I encountered, but had to turn around and pack up to go take care of a now sick wife and baby boy. All in all it was a good trip and I was really happy to have an encounter with a good bear. Momma and my boy are doing fine. Now I’m going to fine me a good spot that’s closer to the truck ?.
Glad to hear all are doing well. Did your legs hold up? I am assuming so since you either had a false positive or very mild case.

Whit90

Glad to hear all are doing well. Did your legs hold up? I am assuming so since you either had a false positive or very mild case.

I held up pretty good. Still low on energy from this cold or virus I have, but I took my time. The pack out was the most strenuous because I was pretty worn out from Friday and Saturday. It was fun and I would do it again. It would be smart to have a group so everyone can help pack meat if someone killed something. but I’m looking forward to some “from the truck” day hunts now.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
On highway 29 about halfway between it's about halfway between Cleveland and Turner's Corner. It's just a little run down family owned Chevron gas station. It used to be a big hit but they built a Dollar General about a quarter mile from it and that has impacted their business in a very bad way.
I try to support them every way I can but it's just biscuits and a good tip for me. Their inventory is way down and they're not even open on Sunday mornings anymore.

Professor

On highway 29 about halfway between it's about halfway between Cleveland and Turner's Corner. It's just a little run down family owned Chevron gas station. It used to be a big hit but they built a Dollar General about a quarter mile from it and that has impacted their business in a very bad way.
I try to support them every way I can but it's just biscuits and a good tip for me. Their inventory is way down and they're not even open on Sunday mornings anymore.
There is a Dollar Store a quarter mile from everything now. I will buy some biscuits from Linda’s though.

1eyefishing

Home again...
Worn out from scouting Friday and hunting Saturday.. Took a break Sunday morning and more scouting Sunday afternoon.
Fair amount of sign in my favorite place... Most since the very 1st dog hunt 3 years ago I guess...
Found a new little hidden gem with special access to some good
zones, but will easier scout it next week. :bounce:
Planning on being back at mountain camp by Thursday, ready to get on it again for about a week.
GON wear myself out! Got 1 ankle and 2 knees killen me!

ddd-shooter

I walked for three hours. I learned once again that snake boots/gaiters are a good idea when hiking solo well off the beaten path.
View attachment 1085187
Just about stepped on his twin last night. I ALWAYS walk out with a light shining on the ground, for this reason. I figured even in dusky dark, it really highlights the snake. It did thankfully.
Found him on the roadside, in the ditch. Which I tell people all the time you've got a better chance of getting bit by the road than anywhere.
I don't ever wear gaiters, as I usually never see any snakes. Hopefully that tradition gets back on track lol

Professor

Just about stepped on his twin last night. I ALWAYS walk out with a light shining on the ground, for this reason. I figured even in dusky dark, it really highlights the snake. It did thankfully.
Found him on the roadside, in the ditch. Which I tell people all the time you've got a better chance of getting bit by the road than anywhere.
I don't ever wear gaiters, as I usually never see any snakes. Hopefully that tradition gets back on track lol
I have seen more copperheads in the last three years than in the rest of my life combined. Something has changed. Maybe just something close to the house changed but for some reason they are regulars now.

1eyefishing

Side note-
While walking out in the dark Saturday evening, I noticed that my flashlight illuminated A TON of wrecked acorns and small green branches scattered on the ground with concentrations in certain places that I walked right over in daylight and did not notice. The light illuminated them and made them stand out in a way that does not happen during the daylight.
I usually hold tight to my spot until sunset and shortly thereafter I begin my trek back down the hill in order to get away from my hunting spot without illuminating the area with my light...
Now considering hanging out a few minutes longer and examining my area closer with the use of a light....

ddd-shooter

Side note-
While walking out in the dark Saturday evening, I noticed that my flashlight illuminated A TON of wrecked acorns and small green branches scattered on the ground with concentrations in certain places that I walked right over in daylight and did not notice. The light illuminated them and made them stand out in a way that does not happen during the daylight.
I usually hold tight to my spot until sunset and shortly thereafter I begin my trek back down the hill in order to get away from my hunting spot without illuminating the area with my light...
Now considering hanging out a few minutes longer and examining my area closer with the use of a light....
Funny story, one night I was walking out, only about 3/4 mile from the truck on a logging road I've walked many times before. Sometimes I'd use a light, most times not; especially later in the season. This night I didn't. Heard something ahead of me, turned my headlamp on, BAM! 20 feet away, big skunk. I heard him walking. As the light hits him, he's posturing to turn his tail and backside towards me...needless to say, I'd have been sprayed had I not stopped and turned on my light. I gave him a WIDE berth once I knew he was there.
Nowadays, once I'm down and walking, I just use my light. I haven't seen any evidence it spooks game anymore than me walking out does, and the 2 legged critters can see me also.

ddd-shooter

I have seen more copperheads in the last three years than in the rest of my life combined. Something has changed. Maybe just something close to the house changed but for some reason they are regulars now.
I usually see timbers and copperheads on the roads, never see them in the woods (thankfully)

jbogg

i’ve been hitting it hard since Saturday and I’m slap wore out. I have seen two timbers and three copperheads since Saturday morning. They are moving like crazy this time of year. The photo below is from my walk out last night.
017C77B4-28D3-43EA-A171-51E17B02B0A6.png

Professor

I usually see timbers and copperheads on the roads, never see them in the woods (thankfully)
We don't have rattle snakes here. We have cottonmouths in select locations and copperheads. I have found 7 in the yard in three years, including the 6-inch demon that bit my finger. While hunting I have seen rattlesnakes and copperheads on the roads and in the roadside ditches. I have run into several copperheads sunning in food plots as well.

Professor

Funny story, one night I was walking out, only about 3/4 mile from the truck on a logging road I've walked many times before. Sometimes I'd use a light, most times not; especially later in the season. This night I didn't. Heard something ahead of me, turned my headlamp on, BAM! 20 feet away, big skunk. I heard him walking. As the light hits him, he's posturing to turn his tail and backside towards me...needless to say, I'd have been sprayed had I not stopped and turned on my light. I gave him a WIDE berth once I knew he was there.
Nowadays, once I'm down and walking, I just use my light. I haven't seen any evidence it spooks game anymore than me walking out does, and the 2 legged critters can see me also.

My nighttime vision has really deteriorated, so I walk with a super bright light after dark. My son jokes that my lights are so bright I could just disintegrate any bear that got in my way. Plus, I have seen a lot of copper heads on logging roads on cool nights. I am not used that. I also like to scout at night (with my bright light of course). Animals respond differently than in the day. They yell and scream because they don't know what you are and then retreat. But, they come right back.

ddd-shooter

My nighttime vision has really deteriorated, so I walk with a super bright light after dark. My son jokes that my lights are so bright I could just disintegrate any bear that got in my way. Plus, I have seen a lot of copper heads on logging roads on cool nights. I am not used that. I also like to scout at night (with my bright light of course). Animals respond differently than in the day. They yell and scream because they don't know what you are and then retreat. But, they come right back.
What's your go-to light?

Status
Not open for further replies.