What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislibby88

Not about bear hunting but while I was gone at my hunting camp this weekend someone tried to break into my house. My wife was home alone and heard a loud crash and called 911. We think when she flipped the lights on they ran away. Totally smashed out a double-pane sliding door, frame and all. Cops surrounded the house with flashlights and guns but too late. Nothing taken and no visual identification. My wife is terrified now and I have to struggle with leaving her alone during season. Make sure your spouses and families are safe when you are away!

The reason one side didn't break away was it had window tint on it.

View attachment 1107712
Get that woman a security system!

Whit90

update:
Covid test negative.
Back to clinic. Different doc takes a look. Says i have allergy induced bronchitis. Says theve seen alot of it past couple of weeks. Inhaler almost immediate relief of feeling like i was suffocating.

Just about the same thing that happened to me. Tested positive. After a could days I retested negative. Went back to the doctor and I was in rough shape and the doctor told me I had allergies... I was like "Doc, Ive been on this earth for a good while now and have had allergies, and have been sick many times... I am not just experiencing allergies." Then she said that my allergies caused a sinus infection.... The only allergies I have are spring time... Doctors make me laugh some times.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’ve been hunting hard since the opener and have seen a few bears, but haven’t been able to make it happen. Went to one of my other spots yesterday afternoon for the first time since the season opened. Not long after I climbed my tree I saw the thick brush shaking about 30 yards out only to have a big black boar hog step out at 20 yards. I decided I was bear hunting and not pig hunting so he got a pass and at 6:45 PM this nice young Sow came up the ridge behind me and stopped long enough for a shot. I sent out a text to my group and was relieved to hear that I had help on the way. @Buckman18 and @FMBear showed up faster than the cavalry with knives and meat packs and we made fairly short work of her as we tried our best not to slide down the mountain while working. After so many close calls it felt good for it to finally all come together. I owe Buckman and FMBear big time. It would have been a long night without them.
View attachment 1106809View attachment 1106817

Congrats on the bear Jbogg! @Buckman18 is an outstanding guy, it blows my mind how much he'll go out of his way to help a fellow hunter.

SouthGa Fisher

Went back last weekend where I found scat, etc and dropped 2 cameras out. This is a very low elevation WMA that I feel like NO ONE hunts. I'm there all throughout the winter and never see anyone. My very old cam (at lower elevation) took burst photos nonstop until it filled the SD card, so it missed out on a few days of opportunity. It did get something a few hours after that was checking out my camera, not positive on what it is. Also one deer. Plenty more scat and tons of busted up whites.
.PRMS0003.JPG
PRMS0004.JPG
PRMS0005.JPG
PRMS0117.JPG

Went to the higher elevation cam where the most bear sign was and I had 2 pictures this week. In true GON Bear Forum fashion (from what I've read the past 2 years), you can guess what came through when looking for a bear.

2021-10-04 125232.jpg
2021-10-04 125154.jpg

jbogg

Went back last weekend where I found scat, etc and dropped 2 cameras out. This is a very low elevation WMA that I feel like NO ONE hunts. I'm there all throughout the winter and never see anyone. My very old cam (at lower elevation) took burst photos nonstop until it filled the SD card, so it missed out on a few days of opportunity. It did get something a few hours after that was checking out my camera, not positive on what it is. Also one deer. Plenty more scat and tons of busted up whites.
.View attachment 1107858
View attachment 1107859
View attachment 1107860
View attachment 1107863

Went to the higher elevation cam where the most bear sign was and I had 2 pictures this week. In true GON Bear Forum fashion (from what I've read the past 2 years), you can guess what came through when looking for a bear.

View attachment 1107865
View attachment 1107866

Nice buck for sure!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Its official,
Fall has come to the mountains.
Had a pair of rose breasted grosbeaks at my bird feeder yesterday. Today had a juvenile hanging out all day.

Only see them a few days every year, as there migrating back and forth with the weather.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Don't post anywhere on social media that you are going hunting. Tell the story when you get back. And get her a security system, a short shotgun, and teach her to shoot it.

We have a security system but we rarely arm it at night if somebody is home. That has changed. And she knows how to use a gun but it happened so fast and she was sound asleep.

EyesUp83

What did I do, bear related, today?
Well, sat down with my wife and figured out two weekends that work for bear huntin this fall... unfortunately neither of them line up with the Cohutta hunt in December.
Also reached out to a newb to see if he wants to go. (I bet he kills a monster on the first time out, LOL)

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I got up and went to the woods. Eased in a easy to get to low elevation spot. As soon as i get situated i notice some scat that wasnt there 2 weeks ago. Didnt see a thing. Im still weak. Checked some trees on my way out. No concentration of sign. Did find another pile of scat. Black on outside, tan on the inside

I dont know why. My allergy's went wild in the afternoon. Didnt sleep 3 hours.

20211009_102409.jpg

chrislibby88

What did I do, bear related, today?
Well, sat down with my wife and figured out two weekends that work for bear huntin this fall... unfortunately neither of them line up with the Cohutta hunt in December.
Also reached out to a newb to see if he wants to go. (I bet he kills a monster on the first time out, LOL)
You probably won’t have much luck by late Nov or Dec for bear, good news is the bucks will be running so wild that it won’t matter. Not that it can’t happen, folks kill them all winter. This year produced a good red oak crop, so I would think they will be active later. Seems a lot were killed late last year on the bumper red crop, so that’s promising. My plan for the Dec check in hunt is to get a good buck on the first day or two of the hunt then start checking bear spots.

EyesUp83

You probably won’t have much luck by late Nov or Dec for bear, good news is the bucks will be running so wild that it won’t matter. Not that it can’t happen, folks kill them all winter. This year produced a good red oak crop, so I would think they will be active later. Seems a lot were killed late last year on the bumper red crop, so that’s promising. My plan for the Dec check in hunt is to get a good buck on the first day or two of the hunt then start checking bear spots.
I killed my first bear on the December hunt last year, but yes I agree they aren't too prevalent that time of year. Between my buddy and I we saw another bear, 2 yotes, and killed 2 pigs.
As of right now it's looking like I'll be hunting Blue Ridge WMA in November unless I can figure out some NF land to hunt before then. I'll be going to get a map from the office in social circle this week and get to studying.

jbogg

Thought I would head up this afternoon to hunt until dark at the same grove of White Oaks where I got my bear two weeks ago. Well the pigs were already under the oaks at 2:30PM when I arrived. Waited for around 15 mins listening to them feeding and finally had one ease out of the thicket for an 8 yd shot with the ML. Perfect packing size. Home well before dark for a change.
474A44EE-756D-4A24-BAED-6B0FEF848083.png

Professor

Thought I would head up this afternoon to hunt until dark at the same grove of White Oaks where I got my bear two weeks ago. Well the pigs were already under the oaks at 2:30PM when I arrived. Waited for around 15 mins listening to them feeding and finally had one ease out of the thicket for an 8 yd shot with the ML. Perfect packing size. Home well before dark for a change.
View attachment 1108930
Well done. Now you can chase big bucks.

chrislibby88

View attachment 1108930
Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.