What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbogg

So much of that magazine doesn’t apply to the way we, well I shouldn’t generalize, not the way I hunt bear here in the southeastern Appalachians. i didn’t renew my membership then I heard some local yocal (@jbogg ) started writing articles about hunting in the eastern deciduous.

I sent an email to Clay Newcomb a couple of years ago complaining about never seeing any content in Bear Hunting Magazine that was relevant to the way we hunt bears in North Georgia. He wrote me back and said “well write something”. The moral of the story is to be careful what you ask for. ?

Tio Hey Seuss

Yep. The last two issues. Go easy on me. I’m a janitor, not a writer.
I thought both articles were well written dude. You got me with that tibit about how much they need to drink during hyperphashia. Not often someone hits me with a bear fact I haven't heard!

jbogg

I thought both articles were well written dude. You got me with that tibit about how much they need to drink during hyperphashia. Not often someone hits me with a bear fact I haven't heard!

Thanks for the kind remarks. Yeah, The water requirement was a real eye-opener for me as well, but makes perfect sense.

jbogg

Any possible way to post both articles so we can read them????

I don’t think I can post them, but I believe you can go on Bear Hunting Magazine‘s website and purchase single issues for like five bucks apiece. Everything I wrote about was learned over the past five years from the guys on this forum, and spending a lot of time walking in the mountains.

splatek

UAEC
I think buying single issues would be the ticket.
A publication cannot make any money by allowing authors to post for free.

John, as I told you personally, I really like the articles you are writing. Good content, good voice in your writing, all around nice to read. I am going to write to Clay and tell him it's a breath of fresh air to have some southern App hunting content, instead of just baiting and dogs. I think you'l' be "hired" on as a feature writer in every issue!

I sent an email to Clay Newcomb a couple of years ago complaining about never seeing any content in Bear Hunting Magazine that was relevant to the way we hunt bears in North Georgia. He wrote me back and said “well write something”. The moral of the story is to be careful what you ask for. ?

You are Sean are gonna have the mountains crawling with new bear hunters in a few years.:p That should make him very happy.

jbogg

I think buying single issues would be the ticket.
A publication cannot make any money by allowing authors to post for free.

John, as I told you personally, I really like the articles you are writing. Good content, good voice in your writing, all around nice to read. I am going to write to Clay and tell him it's a breath of fresh air to have some southern App hunting content, instead of just baiting and dogs. I think you'l' be "hired" on as a feature writer in every issue!

Thanks for the kind words. As far as being a regular contributor, I had better keep my day job. I’m in full agreement with you in wanting to see more regular content depicting Bear Hunting in the Southeast without the use of dogs or bait.

jbogg

You are Sean are gonna have the mountains crawling with new bear hunters in a few years.:p That should make him very happy.

I would be very surprised if we were overrun with new hunters in the Mountains anytime soon. You have to be a special kind of masochist to want to hunt up there. There are definitely easier places to hunt bear.

WoodlandScout82

Yesterday was the official last day of summer teaching at the college and today is my 47th birthday so I too a walk in the woods. Found some white oaks, we shall see what they look like come season. Found a few good looking ones nestled in an old pine stand. Thought that was strange.

On the way off the ridge I picked a few chanterelles

View attachment 1091349

This is the lot I brought home.

I also crossed a creek with a deep hole and since I had my collapsible cane pole/tenkara-and some time, I tied on a stimi and dropped it in the hole. Caught me a nice brook trout on my third cast. Decided to start a little fire and make me a nice stream side lunch.

View attachment 1091352

Not a bad day at all.
good to see I'm not the only one who carries fishing gear on hikes and scouting trips. I carry my hand reel kit and it's a ton of fun to fish with. Screenshot_20210721-154530.pngScreenshot_20210721-155154.png

splatek

UAEC
good to see I'm not the only one who carries fishing gear on hikes and scouting trips. I carry my hand reel kit and it's a ton of fun to fish with. View attachment 1092216View attachment 1092219

My ten year old tangled the living heck outta my hand reel otherwise that would’ve gotten some play. I have to say I really like the tenkara rod tho for trouts. I’ve even been known to just craft one out of a flimsy-flexy sapling when in need. few things as fun as catching fish on a rod you craft in the woods, except killing a deer with a bow you made. And I bet killing a bear with one would be even greater.
Hit me up if you’re ever up in the hills and want company. I’m totally new to this whole woods and hunting thing but trying to figure it out so I can be successful

KentuckyHeadhunter

I don’t think I can post them, but I believe you can go on Bear Hunting Magazine‘s website and purchase single issues for like five bucks apiece. Everything I wrote about was learned over the past five years from the guys on this forum, and spending a lot of time walking in the mountains.

Totally understandable. I will gladly buy those issues from them online. Can you tell me which issues your articles are in?

jbogg

Totally understandable. I will gladly buy those issues from them online. Can you tell me which issues your articles are in?

The magazine is only published every other month so my articles appear in the current July/August issue as well as the May/June. The current issue is more of a “how to get started/what to look for” article, and the May/June is more about off season scouting for bears in the Southeast. I hope you enjoy them, and let me know what you think.

Timberjack86

The magazine is only published every other month so my articles appear in the current July/August issue as well as the May/June. The current issue is more of a “how to get started/what to look for” article, and the May/June is more about off season scouting for bears in the Southeast. I hope you enjoy them, and let me know what you think.
I hope you write one for next months issue!!

Status
Not open for further replies.