What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislibby88

That is a tough looking spot to quarter a bear. Congratulations Chris. That one was more than earned.
Yea I never imagined my first bear would get worked on in such an awful spot under awful conditions. Guess it’s only easier from here. Unfortunately I didn’t save any fat, by time I got to the trimming everything was covered with mud and spiders and flies. She didn’t have a thick layer anyway.

Professor

@Professor the X is where I shot the bear, the circle is where it died. About 30ish linear yards from where it was shot. If you are not familiar with CalTopo slope shade, the purple is cliffs/extremely steep. Lol. If it was a pig I wouldn’t have even bothered trying to recover it, and I value pigs and their meat.
Maybe you should have kicked her down to the bottom. In the dark and the rain. I told my son about your kill and recovery and he said that bear hunting does not sound like anything he wants to do. I am sure you felt the same.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Maybe you should have kicked her down to the bottom. In the dark and the rain. I told my son about your kill and recovery and he said that bear hunting does not sound like anything he wants to do. I am sure you felt the same.
No it would have been straight **** to get back up from the bottom.

EyesUp83

Yea I never imagined my first bear would get worked on in such an awful spot under awful conditions. Guess it’s only easier from here. Unfortunately I didn’t save any fat, by time I got to the trimming everything was covered with mud and spiders and flies. She didn’t have a thick layer anyway.
Congrats man! Thats a great way to "Earn" your first one! Love hearing stories like yours and I didn't get any fat off my first one either.
Stories like your story are what make me want to come back to the mountains and hunt. Real tough man stuff, LOL. I think a lot of us want the challenge (just not in the moment).

chrislibby88

Congrats man! Thats a great way to "Earn" your first one! Love hearing stories like yours and I didn't get any fat off my first one either.
Stories like your story are what make me want to come back to the mountains and hunt. Real tough man stuff, LOL. I think a lot of us want the challenge (just not in the moment).
Yea it was not how I imagined pulling my first bear off a mountain. It was pretty stressful, but I should have been wise enough to not shoot a bear right on the edge of an almost cliff right before a storm hit. I’m thrilled though, and can’t wait to go back for a bigger one. I’ve been wanting meat, oil, and a rug, so I still have a few more boxes to check.

EyesUp83

Today I woke up early and worked out. Ya'll know that exercise called "mountain climbers", yeah, they suck! I'm trying to get more prepared in case I end up in a @chrislibby88 situation.
Also, Anybody have an opinon or alternate preference on the Kifaru universal gun bearer. Thinking seriously about getting it.

splatek

UAEC
Today I woke up early and worked out. Ya'll know that exercise called "mountain climbers", yeah, they suck! I'm trying to get more prepared in case I end up in a @chrislibby88 situation.
Also, Anybody have an opinon or alternate preference on the Kifaru universal gun bearer. Thinking seriously about getting it.

haha. You have to get on the @jbogg program - he loads his pack and walks the steep hill between his house and a lake ... looks like good fun.

ddd-shooter

LOVE all my kifaru stuff. But I don't have the gun bearer. I know it's been around forever and everyone loves it.
Saw rinella talk the other day that fhf was gonna come out with a sling attachment for packs soon. Idk how far that is away though.
Hard to beat the original, and kifaru is 100% American made.
Which means a lot to me.

chrislibby88

Last edited:

chrislibby88

Yes they do and it's quite popular also. Was sold out last time I looked.
It looks more comfortable for long term hauling since it carries behind the shoulder. The kifaru carries in front of the shoulder from what I could tell, which would be better for getting it to shoulder fast, but not so good for going through a laurel tangle with a heavy pack

chrislibby88

Hey don’t neglect loading your pack with 40-50 lbs and walking for a mile or two, get in some good lunges to simulate hills, and do some knee raises to simulate stepping over stuff, or better yet go walk some hills. My stabilizer hip muscles got pretty fatigued carrying stands in and packing meat out, my pack decending was 60 lbs with the hide/skull, and two quarters+back straps and my gun strapped to it, and this was a small bear. Covid halted my prep plan so this year was a little more brutal than planned but luckily I’m in somewhat decent shape. I didn’t do any weight training with the pack. One thing that really stood out was how much a heavy pack really compresses your upper body and makes breathing difficult.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I sawed a bunch of limbs off an apple tree this morning that a bear destroyed last night.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
This evening's haunt...
I couldn't get a cell signal up there...

20210922_162650.jpg

I'm getting frustrated. I'm sitting on good sign that is scattered everywhere in several areas about 3/4 of a mile up a ridge. I can't seem to find the heaviest concentration of sign, it is just everywhere about the same.
The ridge has a split in it and I can approach several different areas from more than one direction according to the wind.And then I'm posting up on the downwind side of a good area to watch with a good view. I'm trying not to make these old bones go 7 or 10 miles a day like some of you younger guys. Two knees and a ankle are killen me.
Thinking about moving to a couple different areas that are tougher climbs to get into that always have bear sign and they are in the zone.
Still would rather sit and wait instead of staying on my feet, but that is producing nothing so far.
:banginghe

Status
Not open for further replies.