What did you do mountain related today part II

chrislibby88

Are you guys canning your meat and fat and saving special cuts whole?

I have never canned meat, but I want to, maybe next season.
I do render fat if I shoot a fat one. I got close to two gallons off my fat December boar. The small sow I shot in Sept didn’t have enough fat for me to bother with.
I’ve been doing large roasts, both bone in and boneless, shoulders stay whole bone-in and get smoked and bbq’d, shanks whole bone-in but I trim the excess bone off so they will fit in a crock pot easier, you can do a whole neck roast or debone it into stew meat, I saw the ribs off and section them up—fatty bear ribs are amazing, the hams usually get separated into boneless roasts and some are then cut into stew- you can always freeze boneless roasts whole and thaw and cut them into stew meat later if needed. I’ve heard to trim all the fat off before freezing, since it can spoil in the freezer in a year or less but we left the fat on the ribs and it tasted amazing after 5 months frozen. We pretty much slow cook everything on the bear but the tenderloins and backstrap, those get cut into medallions and fried in bear fat. I do wanna try and smoke a whole backstrap to 160 and see how it is.

ddd-shooter

I have never canned meat, but I want to, maybe next season.
I do render fat if I shoot a fat one. I got close to two gallons off my fat December boar. The small sow I shot in Sept didn’t have enough fat for me to bother with.
I’ve been doing large roasts, both bone in and boneless, shoulders stay whole bone-in and get smoked and bbq’d, shanks whole bone-in but I trim the excess bone off so they will fit in a crock pot easier, you can do a whole neck roast or debone it into stew meat, I saw the ribs off and section them up—fatty bear ribs are amazing, the hams usually get separated into boneless roasts and some are then cut into stew- you can always freeze boneless roasts whole and thaw and cut them into stew meat later if needed. I’ve heard to trim all the fat off before freezing, since it can spoil in the freezer in a year or less but we left the fat on the ribs and it tasted amazing after 5 months frozen. We pretty much slow cook everything on the bear but the tenderloins and backstrap, those get cut into medallions and fried in bear fat. I do wanna try and smoke a whole backstrap to 160 and see how it is.
I still say bear b que is one of the finest game meals available to the outdoorsman.

ddd-shooter

Leg workout this a.m.
Arrows this evening. Still feeling out the new beartooths, but I think they're gonna make the cut... When I put them on, I thought they were way too comfortable to be supportive. Went back to my danners and oh my what a difference in support. I really think these schnees are just that comfortable. I'll ruck with them later this summer, but I don't really see the need in a break in period.

Attachments

• 3A909D36-AA70-48AB-8229-A667A01FAD58.jpeg
    3A909D36-AA70-48AB-8229-A667A01FAD58.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 20

deadend

I ordered the Slik Sling last night apparently. Budweiser made me do it. It gets rave reviews and many like it better than the Gunbearer and others. Less than 40 bucks too. Check out on YouTube how simple it is to operate with your pack on.
One thing about the Slik Sling as opposed to the Kifaru Gun Bearer is that it is infinitely easier to navigate brush with the Gun Bearer as the gun is in front of you and not hanging above your head catching on every limb you try to get under.

Whit90

I caught a mess of trout Saturday. I'd like to share with yall a picture of me with a laurel branch stringer full of trout, in front of a great waterfall, but that might burn a spot. Even though its a hard to get to spot, I am sure some folks on here would recognize it. Here they are on the grill. No spots, or fish burned in this picture.

trout.jpg

splatek

UAEC
@splatek I just saw your Bear-B-Q and it looks amazing! 20 hrs?!! I am no expert smoker, so walk me through those 20 hrs and tell me how it did not dry out. I assume you have an electric or gas smoker?

Yessir.
1) season the heck out of it with a traeger dry rub
2) wrap tightly in a slow cooker bag.
3) wrap very well in foil
4) smoke for 18 hours at 200
5) with two hours left unwrap everything and place meat on foil wrapped rack in smoker.
6) coat liberally with bbq sauce
7) re apply bbq sauce two more times and smoke until you have a good “crust”
8) let rest for 15-30 minutes
9) enjoy.
10) be careful who you share with out you might end up with more “friends” (aka freeloaders)

I have an electric smoker. It’s so simple. Set it and go do whatever you need to do until the last couple hours where you can crack a cold one and tend to the meat.

Hope it works out for you
It’s only my second smoked thing. @jbogg a huge help on the technical support crisis intervention line. He knows his way around a smoker. As does @FMBear

HardlyHangin

Yalls food sounds amazing. The (new) wife and i are honeymooning in the keys and theres no mountains but yall are my favorite group of internet friends - we did a charter fishing trip yesterday and kept 2 yellow jacks, then got a restaurant to cook them for us - best seafood hands down ive ever had. Got half of it blackened, half cuban style

ddd-shooter

Yalls food sounds amazing. The (new) wife and i are honeymooning in the keys and theres no mountains but yall are my favorite group of internet friends - we did a charter fishing trip yesterday and kept 2 yellow jacks, then got a restaurant to cook them for us - best seafood hands down ive ever had. Got half of it blackened, half cuban style
We used to go to marathon regularly. Love the keys and fresh seafood.

Buckman18

Today we went to Cherokee and had our family portrait made. We usually don’t let folks take our pics because it allows things to get complicated if the wardens come sniffin’ around…

AD54CF2D-AB47-4E12-8B75-440FA575418C.jpeg