What is it?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know dawson forest has lots of interesting structures that have either been torn down or underground from the base. With that said. I think it may be from an old small steel bridge that some concrete had poured around a rivet?View attachment 1011213
That was exactly the reason for my previous post.

hopper

I wish I could get a hold of it. It looks like it fits in your palm pretty good. The back side looks like it was used as a nap to strike rock or somthing. Almost like an ancient multi tool.
I will do my best to get more pics. Was hoping it was more common definitely not natural

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Wouldn't a magnet answer that question!

My opinion, it is an "indian love rock"

No it would be a 2 or 3 inch thick cast from a slurry of portland cement that was poured between the original concrete footing and the main beams that supported the bridge to help keep from settling. They probably didnt clean out the gaps that well back in the early 50's like they do now is why it probably aint flat. Just taking a stab at a guess.

Jim Baker

Staff member
No it would be a 2 or 3 inch thick cast from a slurry of portland cement that was poured between the original concrete footing and the main beams that supported the bridge to help keep from settling. They probably didnt clean out the gaps that well back in the early 50's like they do now is why it probably aint flat. Just taking a stab at a guess.

Hence my question. Wouldn't a magnet detect iron in the "rivet", bolt head, etc. It certainly looks like a metal sphere. For the record I think you are right.

In the river here that I fish there are remnants of a railroad trestle built in the 1800s and destroyed in the 1930s. When the river is extremely low, you can see what is left of the concrete pilings with steel rods protruding from the concrete. Just saying that stuff has been in that river shoal for at least a 150 years and will be until someone pulls it up.

I assume you know what and Indian Love Rock is.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Hence my question. Wouldn't a magnet detect iron in the "rivet", bolt head, etc. It certainly looks like a metal sphere. For the record I think you are right.

In the river here that I fish there are remnants of a railroad trestle built in the 1800s and destroyed in the 1930s. When the river is extremely low, you can see what is left of the concrete pilings with steel rods protruding from the concrete. Just saying that stuff has been in that river shoal for at least a 150 years and will be until someone pulls it up.

I assume you know what and Indian Love Rock is.
I don't think there would be enough iron for a magnet to pick up. I do know what an indian love rock is and you're right also. A 70 year old piece of weathered portland definitely classifies as a love rock. Especially if its been recently found in the creek and thrown on the bank.

hopper

I am seeing alot of hand held grinding stones, this is what I am leaning to.
Metate Mano Paleo Tool???