What is the average cost to lease property in Kentucky?

Stickers

What is the going price to lease property in ky ? I know different areas will vary but just trying to get an ideal. Please indicate the county and acerage, etc

I was actually looking to lease in Clinton county but would also like to hear what others are leasing.

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
To many variables.....narrow it down to a area and you will get a pretty honest answer,

Stickers

To many variables.....narrow it down to a area and you will get a pretty honest answer,
Clinton county was what I’m looking at but would also like to know what other people are paying for other areas.

Thanks

Wish they spell it differently. Maybe with a klinton ??

Jim Boyd

I am pretty sure you are going to get everything from $10 to $35...

It is all going to depend on the size of the farm, commercial tillable, food plot areas available, ratio of timber to open (tillable, hay, cattle pasture, CRP), previous harvest, annual vs seasonal, all fur and feather - the list will go on and on.

The point is, there is little way to define what it is going to cost to lease the precise farm you locate until you ask the landowner.

Not sure where Clinton is but if it is west, the cost will likely run on the higher end.

The much bigger challenge for you is to locate a decent farm that IS available - and then you worry about the costs...

Good luck.

Kris87

I hunt in Christian county, which is the best county in the state, and land there will run anywhere from $20-35/acre. And it's impossible to find.

KevChap

Banned
I've been wanting to lease in Kentucky but I'm afraid being from Ga the owner would just let people hunt when we wasn't there... I don't want to invest that kind if time and money on something that far I can't keep an eye on..

Jim Boyd

I've been wanting to lease in Kentucky but I'm afraid being from Ga the owner would just let people hunt when we wasn't there... I don't want to invest that kind if time and money on something that far I can't keep an eye on..

I have 4 leases in the Midwest and have had a few others over the last 10 years.

I run a lot of cameras and I generally know when someone was on my leased land.

In all these years and over 1000 acres, not once did I discover someone else was hunting land that I had under lease with landowners consent and/or permission.

I am not naive enough to think that someone might not TRESPASS and hunt - but I can assure you that my landowners did not condone it.

It is all about the relationship you have with the landowner.

If your phobia about that is preventing you from enjoying some awesome hunting, you are missing out, indeed.

KevChap

Banned
I have 4 leases in the Midwest and have had a few others over the last 10 years.

I run a lot of cameras and I generally know when someone was on my leased land.

In all these years and over 1000 acres, not once did I discover someone else was hunting land that I had under lease with landowners consent and/or permission.

I am not naive enough to think that someone might not TRESPASS and hunt - but I can assure you that my landowners did not condone it.

It is all about the relationship you have with the landowner.

If your phobia about that is preventing you from enjoying some awesome hunting, you are missing out, indeed.
That's good to hear.. I've wanted to commit and go for it and just try it anyway

Jim Boyd

That's good to hear.. I've wanted to commit and go for it and just try it anyway

I think that is smart.

Once your landowner knows and trusts you, they will generally go out of their way to “protect” you.

Many landowners love leased land because it gives them an easy way to say NO to people that want to hunt.

That said, the landowner / lessee interview process goes both ways. You should be assessing them as hard as they are assessing you.

I have walked away from many lease deals because the arrangement did not “feel right”.

Remember though, they are anchored to the land and people, generally, are good and do not want an embarrassing series of events.

Good luck if you start your search.

Finding the right farm is NOT easily accomplished.

Jim Boyd

More ridiculous than GA lease prices.

Supply and demand but some folks wrestle with that concept.

There is a reason that every decent farm that is available in the Midwest is leased every year - the hunting can be off the charts.

Actually, the exact same thing is true in Georgia. Every decent farm that is available for lease - gets leased.

Not rocket science, just good old supply and demand.

If you are looking for someone to blame - that would be us... you know - deer hunters.

Last edited: