What is the Best 10 mm to buy?

Nimrod71

I am in the market for a 10 mm but I can't decide which one to get, Glock, Ruger or other? I don't know anyone here with a 10 mm so I don't have a chance to shoot one and try it out. I would appreciate it if anyone on here could offer their recommendations. I currently shoot 45's, 357 mag. and 44 mag. so recoil is not problem.

Reactions: Dub

ChidJ

I guess it comes down to what you are looking to do with it. All the Glocks are good to go. Smith and Wesson's model 610 is cool and runs just like every other big steel framed smith revolver. The 1006 is cool if you can find one. The Colt Delta Elite is cool for the FBI acclaim. That's all the 10mm pistols I've had significant experience with. Good luck on your search. 10mm is best mm!

Gator89

You looking for a revolver or an auto-shucker?

I have a Glock 20 I bought because the price was right. The G40 has a longer slide and barrel.

Rock Island, Colt and Dan Wesson offer 10mm 1911 style handguns.

Ruger has both DA and SA revolvers in 10mm.

hdgapeach

"Best" is gon be very subjective. If you're a Glock fanboy (as they call 'em), you'll like their offerings (wish I still had my G20). Personally, I'd be in the market for one of the Colt Delta Elite in stainless. I've always wanted one. Just haven't ran across the right deal yet. The way things in society are going now, I may have done missed my opportunity......

hogdgz

I love my Glock 20 and my Springfield xdm10 with a Burris on it. I hunt with both and by far the 10mm is my favorite handgun caliber. I do plan on getting a 44mag one day but right now I just shoot auto loaders better than revolvers 6130107E-FE56-4E73-B3D8-E8FE1112F2ED.jpeg

Steven037

I’ve had the G40 mos with a trijicon rmr. Liked it a lot but just didn’t feel right in my hand. Currently hunting with a Springfield TRP in 10mm. It’s got open sights but I’m ok with that. Both shoot good but I do better with the Springfield. E371886D-9740-4CA1-9E87-4E2E3092D75B.jpeg

Dub

I am in the market for a 10 mm but I can't decide which one to get, Glock, Ruger or other? I don't know anyone here with a 10 mm so I don't have a chance to shoot one and try it out. I would appreciate it if anyone on here could offer their recommendations. I currently shoot 45's, 357 mag. and 44 mag. so recoil is not problem.

There are many choices available....the 10mm has been making a resurgence.....or at least it was until 2020 went off the rails.

Dan Wesson has been real enthusiastic about it up until Covid hit us. To my knowledge their Manufacturing plant in NY has been idled due to state restrictions. Thanks to their horrid governor.

I have one of their offerings...the Razorback. I'd steer you away from that model....unless you are willing to put some additional funds into it. Don't get me wrong...the trigger is super and controls are perfectly setup...made of tool steel ignition parts...no stuff that you'll want to trash later. (This is true of all their guns....excellent internals, clean breaking triggers and properly fitted controls, etc. I have a few DW 1911's and the slide-to-frame fit & barrel lockup of each is ideal. Production guns with quality that rivals the more expensive semi-custom brands. )

The downside to this Razorback model is the sights. For hunting a front fiber optic is on my must-have puchlist. I'm also going to have the frontstrap checkered in 20 lpi. For that expense I could have bought one of their newer offerings in 6" with exceptional hunting sights. I went with this one, due to the fact that it'll possibly be carried, too. At the time it was the only 5" gun I could find in stock anywhere.

Les Baer is warming up on the 10mm, too. Uncle Les is offering 5" and 6" models. I have my fingers crossed that he'll one day offer a Monolith Heavyweight 6" in 10mm.

His current 6" would be a mighty nice one, though. You can check with Crazy John over at

http://www.cj1911heaven.com

for prices on models he has available. Keep in mind he has more than he lists on his website......and he can also order LB customized to your liking, too. 8-12 weeks seems to be the normal delivery time.

For the money...I've had some good results with a Rock Island Armory full-railed 10mm. No complaints over the trigger. The thumb safety needs some work and the beavertail grip safety needed adjusting. Sight were decent...front fiber optic and adjustment rear. Heck, even the G10 grips were fine. For what I paid new....well before Covid I performs above it's pay grade.

It's a bull barreled model that doesn't takedown as easily as the Razorback (GI style guide rod, easy as it gets ). Even with that bit of takedown tediousness....the extra weight of bull barrel & rail helps with the recoil of hunting loads.

It was a one that I figured I could work up my handloads in.

Will be starting with new Starline & 180gr XTP over a dose of Blue Dot...working up to a nice hunting velocity & accuracy.

The sweet shooting 10mm....even with so called "hot" loads (180gr @ ~1,300fps ) is not harsh at all in 1911's especially with the more stout recoil springs that can be played with. Both mine have the standard factory springs for now.

I'm eager to get my handloading setup and see what I can do playing with the 10mm. Very interested in seeing what the velocity difference will be on a 6" model, too.

I just hope & pray things go favorable in the months ahead so our gun ownership isn't threatened and so we can continue to buy, guns, ammo and/or components and enjoy the shooting sports and hunting.

I'll rest easier once our freedoms are more secure.

Last edited:

ChidJ

You could always do what I’ve been dreaming of doing and have a custom 1911 put together. I’m partial to SVI Infinity. I think once I graduate college I’ll finally put my order in.

8C5F8A29-353A-4B91-A35E-12139532C541.jpeg

Liberty

I would choose one in whatever platform you shoot best with. Nothing else matters if you miss or make a marginal hit. Confidence helps make more x ring hits.

hunter 85

I am a Les Baer guy As I own a premier ll and a thunder ranch both in 45 if I had the funds I would order a long slide Premier ll in 10mm. I kinda kick my self for not buying a amt hard baller 7 inch in 10mm many years ago when I had a chance to.

frankwright

I do like My G40 and carry a G29 when I am hard at hog hunting.
I love the 1911 platform but with my old eyes I would need to add a Red Dot to shoot. I may still do it one day.
Springfield-Armory-TRP-10mm-RMR-Optics-Ready-1911-RA.jpg

rosewood

I have been a 10mm fanboy since I got into guns right at 21. I favor the 1911 platform myself. If you go 1911, I recommend one that has a ramped barrel and not throated. The ramped barrel is fully supported where as the throated is questionable with the support. In a 45, it isn't a big deal since the pressures are much lower.

I absolutely cannot stand the grip angle of a Glock. When I pull it out to aim, it is pointing at the sky. Most other brand guns point to where I intend on.

Rosewood

rosewood

I am a Les Baer guy As I own a premier ll and a thunder ranch both in 45 if I had the funds I would order a long slide Premier ll in 10mm. I kinda kick my self for not buying a amt hard baller 7 inch in 10mm many years ago when I had a chance to.
Hmm, I never new AMT made it in 10mm. Interesting.

B. White

I'm very happy with my Rock Island, considering what I paid for it, but there are probably no deals on anything right now. I agree with the recoil comments above. Several ladies have shot it with standard 10mm loads and all shot it well with no complaints. There is a noticeable difference with a 200 gr lead bullet and a good dose of AA#9, but still nothing like shooting the 44. I did not make the best shot on the first 9 pt I saw while carrying it, but had a good entry and exit through some bone with about a 10 yd tracking job.

51991_1911-A1_ROCK_Ultra_FS_10mm_leftprofile.jpg

TomC

Owned every Glock 10mm and my favorite is the G20SF with KKM 6" barrel. Like the grip better on the SF version. Otherwise just pull the trigger on a Dan Wesson Razorback but the ugly Glock with a KKM will shoot just as accurately.