What is "the good life"?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I've spent almost my entire existence in the pursuit of happiness looking for "the good life". I've come to understand that "the pursuit of happiness" is a false narrative, a lie: the wrong way, if you will. It leads to nothing but destruction. I've came very near it, and have seen family, friends, and thousands of acquaintances come to despair and destruction following that path. We never learn. We abandon lust for love, love for accomplishment, accomplishment for money, money for power. We sprinkle in substances and combine all the ingredients in varying combinations hoping the next one works, yet in the end are left as empty as we were at the beginning, just more confused, disillusioned and depressed. It's as vain as attempting as trying to satisfy starvation with water.

The problem, is the same as it always has been since creation. It's the swallowing of a lie. In this case it's believing the path to "the good life" somehow involves the pursuit of happiness. It doesn't.....at all. The path to the good life is found through "peace", not happiness. Scripture makes it abundantly clear and points to a relationship with Christ as the only way to find that peace.

Christ said:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.

Paul said:

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

Peter echoed the importance of peace.

Let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.

as did James:

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

and Jude.

May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

In fact some form of "peace from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ." is mentioned in either the initial of final greetings of almost all the epistles which speaks both of the gift and it's source.

What makes peace the cornerstone for "the good life"? In my opinion, based on my experience, peace from God the Father and from the Lord, Jesus Christ transcends circumstance. I can experience pain, be it physical or emotional and still have peace. It's permanent, immortal and living. It can't be taken away by anyone or anything., It can only relinquished by me. Ultimately, it is the only thing that fills that void or appetite for completeness and contentment. There's been times in my life I've thought a certain relationship would "complete me", but they never did. In fact, looking back in a broader context, every relationship of any type, I've ever had with anyone, be it family, friends, co-workers, or marital was fulfilling only to the extent that they mirrored the relationship I have with Christ and represented by the peace I have found in that. The less they mirrored that, the less fulfilling, more tumultuous and bedeviling they were.

So as I have found, happiness can be like an elusive wisp always flittering away and disappearing in the hand once caught. The secret to finding "the good life" is to seek the peace offered and experienced through Christ. It transcends and engulfs happiness in the way the sea transcends and engulfs a sand castle.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Great thread @SemperFiDawg.
So many of us make things so complicated when really the way is so simple.
A few years ago, I responded to a young friend that was graduating from high school. He had sent me an invitation to his graduation ceremony. While I couldn't attend, I enclosed a check to help with his college fund and I wrote this: "Always remember that the way to success and happiness is easy, just do exactly what your dad tells you to do".
By dad, I meant his physical father who as a college professor would provide him with good advice on how to navigate college and his future life successfully.
If only I had followed my own advice earlier in my own life and oftentimes still today. I have to constantly remind myself to not be distracted by seemingly urgent issues that rob me of my peace and happiness.
A man who has peace with God has everything.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Locke's quote from your link:
The necessity of pursuing happiness [is] the foundation of liberty.
makes it clear that he considered the term in a philosophical/political context. This thread is in the Spiritual Discussion and Study forum. Even a casual reading of the original post would make it clear that your point, whatever it may be, is off topic.

Last edited: