What is the one "newer" Cartridge that you thought was cool but did not quite catch on?

Stroker

.17 Fireball. Zero recoil and like a lightning bolt to 300.

Jester896

Senior Clown
You can tell a .270-W is only fit for paper targets by how little recoil it has and the muzzle blast won't even bother the neighbors.
are you sure that isn't the .25-06?

I was in a stand not much more if it was 100 yards from a buddy's house in his yard. I shot a deer in the opposite direction of the house and tried to wait out a second one to no avail. I got down from the stand and chased the second one away and drug the other one where it would be easier to see in the dark that was about on me. I went to get a quad for recovery at the house. He asked, "Did you shoot a deer? I didn't even hear the shot."

fauxferret

256 Winchester magnum. Born way too late to appreciate it. Yes it is kind of a reinvent the wheel cartridge but it's cool and I always wanted a Ruger Hawkeye in one. So if I ever see one that's "reasonable" it's going into my collection, heck I'd even go for a Marlin 62 levermatic. The curse of being born decades late.

furtaker

are you sure that isn't the .25-06?

I was in a stand not much more if it was 100 yards from a buddy's house in his yard. I shot a deer in the opposite direction of the house and tried to wait out a second one to no avail. I got down from the stand and chased the second one away and drug the other one where it would be easier to see in the dark that was about on me. I went to get a quad for recovery at the house. He asked, "Did you shoot a deer? I didn't even hear the shot."
I always thought the 25-06 was kinda loud, myself. Small bores burning decent amounts of powder equals lots of muzzle blast in my experience.

35 Whelen

"The 7mm Remington Magnum is a fine cartridge. Theoretically it should have a little more killing power than the 270. It uses heavier bullets at somewhat higher velocity, but if there is any practical difference I have not seen it."
Jack O'Connor

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Hmmmm nope, the only thing that flung a craving on me in years is a .35 Whelen. I’m too old now to hunt critters that justify the gun over what my .308 can do. I’ll just stick with what’s proven.

rosewood

Hmmmm nope, the only thing that flung a craving on me in years is a .35 Whalen. I’m too old now to hunt critters that justify the gun over what my .308 can do. I’ll just stick with what’s proven.
Most of us know the old standbys are more than sufficient. But we can always use an excuse to buy a new gun.

Rosewood

SC Hunter

I wish the 300 wsm was more popular. If I ever buy another wsm it will be a 300.

35 Whelen

Hmmmm nope, the only thing that flung a craving on me in years is a .35 Whalen. I’m too old now to hunt critters that justify the gun over what my .308 can do. I’ll just stick with what’s proven.

Get one, you won't regret it. I’m 70 and still use mine in case I run into a bear that needs to take a ride in the truck.
Remington Model 700 Classic with a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 in 35 Whelen:

20220202_122733.jpg