What is the one "newer" Cartridge that you thought was cool but did not quite catch on?

trial&error

6.8spc had me wanting it. I was getting around too it then the obama scarcity hit. After that I stuck with more common loads for convenience.

Mattval

The 284 Winchester. It was way out in front of the pack.

Short action rebated rim that out performs most long action cartridges.

It was the leader in short mag performance. Winchester chose to market only in their Model 88 and 100 rifles for too long. Remington did similar with the .280.

It's superior to the 7-08 that was introduced almost twenty years later, but marketed in proven popular platforms.

More recently the 6.8 SPC should have a stronger following. It suffered from many of the same maladies as the 6mm Rem with an early poor twist rate, the .280 with lower pressure specs until the spec II chamber was introduced.

I always wanted one of the major players to bring the cartridge to market in a spec II lightweight turnbolt. I'm sure the odd sized bolt face had a cost prohibiting factor that kept us from seeing more of them.

Like a .223 chambered one, an 18" Model Seven in 6.8 Spec II would make an excellent pairing with your AR. With today's modern bullets would be an effective easy shooting choice for any age group to enjoy in the woods.
Dude Yes! I forgot about 284 Win! Good one!

doomtrpr_z71

270msr is the one I'm surprised didn't catch on, tac30 too in AR's. Is there any round that hasn't caught on now days? If it's on the shelf it's gone in minutes. I'm certainly glad I got into 6.8 in time to be able to buy the military contract overrun ammo.

Dr. Strangelove

8mm Rem Mag. Great cartridge, my brother has a Rem 700 in that caliber. It came about just a little too early for the metric designation to catch on.

I load for it, or used to. It's a hoot to shoot.

Mattval

Alot of people are mentioning the 6.8. I may need to look into this one. Never really paid it any mind.

Mattval

I almost forgot about my fav cartridge! 6mm Rem. First rifle I killed a deer with. I had a Rem Model 7. Dad had a Rem 742 woodsmaster 6mm.

30-338

Not newer, but I wish the 7-30 Waters would have caught on. I have it in the Contender and always wanted one in a lever. I love the 22-250 but have always wanted a 220 swift, which I think is a better option although barrel life is short.

Last edited:

Buckstop

A couple of the newest ones that that the jury is out on in the timing of release are the 6.5 RPM Weatherby and 6.8 Western. Both have some good things going for them but its a tuff market at the moment.

6.5 RPM is a speed improvement over a 6.5x284 or 6.5-06 and is in the 264 win mag zone with no belt. Although competition from the 6.5 PRC will be stiff and the 26 Nosler is even faster, also with no belt.

6.8 western is gambling on rifles getting sold with faster twist barrels for heavies, but with so much disruption in the industry lately, who knows where it'll go or how ammo supply will be in the future.

Ray357

AWOL
I always thought the 338 Marlin express was a cool cartridge. I never owned one. I may look for one in the future. I thought for sure it would be more popular than it turned out to be.
Ol' Chuck Hawks liked it to I believe.
The entire line of Ruger Compact Magnums.

Ray357

AWOL
I STILL have people tell me that I should have gone with the 6.8 SPC over Grendel. Then I hear the same arguments as to why they’re better and that there’s a military contract and they are the future standard issue caliber...
I thought that new polymer cased 6.8 was leading.

Mattval

Not newer, but I wish the 7-30 Waters would have caught on. I have it in the Contender and always wanted one in a lever. I love the 22-250 but have always wanted a 220 swift, which I think is a better option although barrel life is short.
Dude I do not know why the 7-30 Waters never caught on! Maybe the Name? People may would have bought it if it were called the 7-30 Waters Ultra Mag or Waters Super Duper Short Mag or something like that.

killerv

I almost forgot about my fav cartridge! 6mm Rem. First rifle I killed a deer with. I had a Rem Model 7. Dad had a Rem 742 woodsmaster 6mm.

I picked up a used m77 about 20 years ago, hunted with it for several years. Deer did not like it. I wasn't reloading then and 6mm was hard to find so I let it go. I ran across one in a model 7 a couple years ago and should have bought it.

Nimrod71

6 mm Rem shooters are few and far between. I guess Winchester with there 243 got to big of a jump of Remington. Also with Remington marketing the cartridge for smaller game it didn't help. When Remington finally caught on the market had already pasted them by and the 243 became the dominate cartridge. I think the same fate has happened to the 6 mm Creedmoor.

diamondback

I bought a 260 right after it came out in Remington model 7. It was touted as being the best ever for deer. It has always been a pain to find ammo. Funny thing is now it seems more popular than ever I think because it keeps getting compared to the 6.5 CM and it has slightly better performance than the 6.5. The 260 has taken many deer over the years.

baddave

I bought a 260 right after it came out in Remington model 7. It was touted as being the best ever for deer. It has always been a pain to find ammo. Funny thing is now it seems more popular than ever I think because it keeps getting compared to the 6.5 CM and it has slightly better performance than the 6.5. The 260 has taken many deer over the years.
I have a 260 and it's ok . real nice for reloading as i can very easily form my brass from 243 or 308s . I have "harvested" about 8 or 9 out of my last 10 or 12 w/ it . to be honest, i haven't found anything that'll out "harvest" a 243:cheers:

Bowyer29

I bought my then 4-year-old son a Ruger M77 in .260 in 2002. That rifle has killed a lot of deer. My wife killed her first deer ever with it in December. It's easy to shoot, more accurate with handloads than any other rifle we own, and deer simply fall over dead. We love the .260.