What is the one thing........

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
this ain't fried okry. it is breaded okry, and you buy it at the Wall Marks.

fried-okra-5.jpg

this is fried okry. Granny and Momma cooked it in a cast iron skillet. Sometimes a few pieces would not get stirred good, and end up a little scorched and blackened. I like it like that..
Fried-Okra-Recipe-addapinch-387-2-480x270.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
this ain't fried okry. it is breaded okry, and you buy it at the Wall Marks.

fried-okra-5.jpg

this is fried okry. Granny and Momma cooked it in a cast iron skillet. Sometimes a few pieces would not get stirred good, and end up a little scorched and blackened. I like it like that..
That looks like Mama's fried okry.

Havana Dude

A funny one I had forgot about. When I was in kindergarten, 49 years ago, my mom was VERY involved in school activities, PTO, etc. my teacher ratted me out that I wasn’t eating my veggies at lunch. I remember “the talk” to this day. Anyway, I was informed that I would eat my veggies or else.......Very next day, sweet cooked carrots wound up on my plate. I avoided them to the bitter end, but the teacher came by my table and gave me the stank eye. I scarfed them down very fast as everyone was getting up to dump their trays. I was the last one to get up, so was waiting in line to dump my tray. In an instant, those carrots decided they wanted to have another look around this ol world, and up they came. If I described it as projectile vomit, I would be doing it a tremendous disservice. I literally sprayed the trash can from about 6 kids back. I’ve never forgotten that, and haven’t touched a sweet cooked carrot to this day. I’ll eat em cooked in stew, etc, or raw, but no sugar!!!

Oldstick

Agree. That is the real deal. First pic was some breaded okra out of a frozen bag most likely. Maybe dropped in a deep fryer or the oven a few minutes to brown it. I like either one if you offer it to me, but nothing can top the fresh chopped, skillet cooked version.

Anybody else like pickled okra? A (somewhat hawt) neighbor lady gave us a jar she made from her garden once. Never had it before or since, but it was just as good as a jar of dill pickled cucumbers to me.

LTZ25

This sounds like a bad idea but I started cooking okra by washing whole okra and putting them in a bowl and microwaveing them with nothing on them , salt and pepper and 2-4 minutes depending on how much you are cooking at a time , its very good !!!!
I grew up on fried okra myself . I was never made to eat anything , I volunteered to eat anything .

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
A funny one I had forgot about. When I was in kindergarten, 49 years ago, my mom was VERY involved in school activities, PTO, etc. my teacher ratted me out that I wasn’t eating my veggies at lunch. I remember “the talk” to this day. Anyway, I was informed that I would eat my veggies or else.......Very next day, sweet cooked carrots wound up on my plate. I avoided them to the bitter end, but the teacher came by my table and gave me the stank eye. I scarfed them down very fast as everyone was getting up to dump their trays. I was the last one to get up, so was waiting in line to dump my tray. In an instant, those carrots decided they wanted to have another look around this ol world, and up they came. If I described it as projectile vomit, I would be doing it a tremendous disservice. I literally sprayed the trash can from about 6 kids back. I’ve never forgotten that, and haven’t touched a sweet cooked carrot to this day. I’ll eat em cooked in stew, etc, or raw, but no sugar!!!
That reminds me of my 1st day of 1st grade. I don't dislike oatmeal, but I musta been real hungry that morning. Sitting at my desk all that oatmeal come up. I looked down and it looks like the whole bowl of oatmeal came right back up just like it looked in the bow. Perfect huge circle of paste. :O:O:O:bounce:

BG77

G
This sounds like a bad idea but I started cooking okra by washing whole okra and putting them in a bowl and microwaveing them with nothing on them , salt and pepper and 2-4 minutes depending on how much you are cooking at a time , its very good !!!!
I grew up on fried okra myself . I was never made to eat anything , I volunteered to eat anything .
Grilled okra. Love it. Spray with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste, then throw on the grill. When the biggest ones are almost smushy, take off and place on a plate and cover with foil for 10 mins to steam. Then eat. Sooooooo good

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Mama's cookin'.........she's a yankee. We all learned to cook for ourselves at a very young age on account of it.
Like me...learned to cook in self defense, or out of self preservation.

SC Hunter

Stumbling upon this thread and have to add to it.

I literally grew up in a restaurant, Southern style cook from scratch type food, that has been owned by my family for 30 years. I have never really been an extremely picky eater, maybe a little picky growing up but not bad. I will eat just about anything at least one time. My Mama, both Grandmothers and my wife could cook up a storm like no ones business.

I HATE beets!! My mama convinced me to try one at about 12 or so and again a few years ago and they are the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. Anything else I can stomach for the most part.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I hate okrey any way but crunchy fried as I have said. But, I love gumbo. I love gumbo as long as I don't see chunks of okra in it. If I do, it sits uneaten.

Cmp1

BANNED
Stumbling upon this thread and have to add to it.

I literally grew up in a restaurant, Southern style cook from scratch type food, that has been owned by my family for 30 years. I have never really been an extremely picky eater, maybe a little picky growing up but not bad. I will eat just about anything at least one time. My Mama, both Grandmothers and my wife could cook up a storm like no ones business.

I HATE beets!! My mama convinced me to try one at about 12 or so and again a few years ago and they are the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. Anything else I can stomach for the most part.
I absolutely love beets,,,,fresh,,,,sweet as sugar,,,,