What is this aquatic critter?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
It has little legs, never seen one before.D307ED59-28F3-47AC-9FB9-35FE37886F33.png

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I figured it was a salamander, just wasn’t sure.

DannyW

Redneck Translation: Spring Lizard.

Wow...I guess so but all the ones I've seen were brown to black in color.

When I was a teenager, me and a buddy came up with a get-rich-quick scheme. We would go up to north Ga, catch a bucket full of lizards, and then sell them to bait stores around Lake Lanier. Didn't take but a couple trips for us to realize that between the gas and our time that we were only making about .50 cents an hour. :cautious:

Does anyone still use spring lizards for bass?

Big7

The Oracle
Wow...I guess so but all the ones I've seen were brown to black in color.

When I was a teenager, me and a buddy came up with a get-rich-quick scheme. We would go up to north Ga, catch a bucket full of lizards, and then sell them to bait stores around Lake Lanier. Didn't take but a couple trips for us to realize that between the gas and our time that we were only making about .50 cents an hour. :cautious:

Does anyone still use spring lizards for bass?
I used them back in the 80's.
Haven't seen any at the bait store since then.

They are resilient. Usually good for 2 or 3 catches each.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believe. Cryptobranchus alleganiensis aka hellbender.
Not a hellbender. Those suckers are about two feet long and big around as your wrist. They're still fairly common around here.

5d4632866e1d4.image.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Grandpa always said to never drink out of a spring that didn't have lizards in it.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I think yall have mud puppies, dogfish or mud dogs, something like that and they only get 6 inches long on average. Also the mud dog only has 4 fingers on its hind feet whereas hellbenders have 5.

Last edited: