what is too young to fly fish

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sure. Delayed harvest or heavily stocked waters are a great place to get kids started. Let her bring in some fish that you hook. Then show her how to flip a woolly bugger out there and strip it back, or fish nymphs under an indicator.

whitetailfreak

At that age I was following my dad and Pap up every creek in Graham and Swain County NC totin' their green Danielson creel. I thought that was the best thing in the world and when he'd pull out his Case pocket knife and hand it to me and say "dress em' fish" I would light up like a Christmas tree. Sure, I would get his flyrod at times and mostly stay hung up but I was like a sponge soaking it all in at that age. Good times lay ahead for you both.

Last edited:

oldguy

At that age I was following my dad and Pap up every creek in Graham and Swain County NC totin' their green Danielson creel. I thought that was the best thing in the world and when he'd pull out his Case pocket knife and hand it to me and say "dress em' fish" I would light up like a Christmas tree. Sure, I would get his flyrod at times and mostly stay hung up but I was like a sponge soaking it all in at that age. Good times lay ahead for you both.
WOW!
Lucky you!

splatek

UAEC
6 is fine.
I would suggest starting at a local pond with few to little trees. That'll help keep snags with branches to a minimum and bream will eat just about every fly there is. Also, like NCH said, let her bring in a few you get.
Learning together is what my boy and I did, now he's better than me.

NCMTNHunter

Get her out in the yard with a rod and just fly line. You don’t even have to have a leader on it. Kids figure the mechanics of things out faster than adults. It won’t be long and she’ll be casting better than you. Plus it’s never too early to be outside with your kids!

flyrod444

I agree with all the above comments. All I would add is to have her wear a pair of sun glasses of some kind when casting with a hook on the line. I carry half dozen pair of extra sun glasses and even safety glasses when I guide. I always recommend that the younger kids wear a pair. I have removed hooks from a dozen or so clients over my 30 plus years as a guide. It really isn't that big a deal when they are in a hand or such, but one should protect the eyes when possible. I mash the Barb down on the flies for younger kids and even adults who don't seem be able to keep the fly from coming dangerously close to them.