What is your Go to recipe for bringing in Hogs?

sleepr71

I’m having a problem catching a new Sounder that’s showed up at my place. Neighbor has corn feeders going along the property line, and the hogs are hitting that at night. I have a big, fancy, 30 foot diameter Hog Trap with a 8’ cellular gate and spin cast feeder, cellular camera… ETC. everything, but a hog has been in the trap in the last couple weeks. I’ve tried sour corn, sour corn with all sorts of sweet smelling goodies in it, I’ve tried scraps from a grocery store, sweets like peach cobbler, you name it...I’ve put all sorts of good smelling stuff in there and brought everything but Hogs into the trap. They are running a bottom about 75 yards away, and I feel certain that they can smell the stuff up in the trap, especially along with the sour corn. I’ve even went so far as to leave a trail of corn from the bottom that they’re running up to the trap of mine which is slightly uphill & Maybe 100 yds away at the most. Nada. No takers. Not even young ones. If I move the trap down into the bottom...I lose Cell signal..and have very little sunlight(to keep batteries charged). Darned if I do & darned if I don’t ! Any suggestions to get these Hogs to come to where I want them...other than 55 gal drums of Donuts & Honeybuns :biggrin2: ??

stonecreek

I have used a bag of cheap cat food fish flavor in the past with cracked corn. Mix in 5 gallon bucket. Let it sit for a couple days. Add a couple cups of brown sugar also. Caught several reluctant hogs that way.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
When all the corn in the woods from deer hunter’s disappears I bet you’ll have better luck

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
5 gal bucket of corn. Fill 1/3 with water, 2 packs strawberry kool aid mix, 2 beers, Stir. Let sit out in sun with lid on for a few days. Dig small hole with post hole diggers as deep as possible. Fill it with the fermented corn from bucket. Do not put bait anywhere you do not want a Volkswagen sized hole in the ground.

sleepr71

Cat food? Hmm,sounds promising. I think I’ll skip the Dead Deer. That’ll probably just bring Buzzards & Dogs...

j_seph

5 gal bucket of corn. Fill 1/3 with water, 2 packs strawberry kool aid mix, 2 beers, Stir. Let sit out in sun with lid on for a few days. Dig small hole with post hole diggers as deep as possible. Fill it with the fermented corn from bucket. Do not put bait anywhere you do not want a Volkswagen sized hole in the ground.
Milk instead of beer works well also

frankwright

It is not the bait it is the trap! Hogs are smart!
I watched a video of a big electronic operated round trap that dropped on a wifi signal. There were about 30-40 pigs and they wanted to get most of them in the trap at one time.
It never happened. A couple of older sows would go to the trap door but would not go in. If they didn't go in, maybe 2-3 smaller pigs would but none of the other 15-20 would go in.
I don't know the answer, maybe trap location, but they are not easy to trap either!

sleepr71

I am just baffled that they won’t travel the 75-100yds up to the trap site. They HAVE to smell the stuff I’ve put in it.! I’ve caught a pile of them about 200 yds away in a different Corral trap (figure 6 trap). It’s just smaller,won’t hold as many,and is a simple spring door,using a trigger stick. Deer often go in it & trip the door...preventing Hogs from going in. I’ve thought about laying down a scent drag to the trap site. Maybe soak a rag in Mollases & Soured Corn juice..??

stonecreek

I have a place that I bait coyotes with. Using dead deer etc... here on the farm. The hogs will wipe it out quickly tho. This pic is from last week.4F1201D1-07BE-49CE-8BA0-B7F16C2CC3AA.jpeg

tracker12

How long does it take for them to find this

sleepr71

Yep...they migrate around. Had 12 on Camera last week...none this week. I mixed a bag of Fish flavored Cat food with 10lbs of Corn. Mixed in a little yeast & sugar & gave it 3 days under a heat lamp. Definitely smelled like a dead animal & they ate every bit of it. They never would get on a daily schedule & have moved off for some reason. I’ll get them though?

deermaster13

When all the corn in the woods from deer hunter’s disappears I bet you’ll have better luck
Yep!! I just pulled a card and we haven't been really bothered with them this year I believe the adjoining property feeds really heavy. Like flatbed truck amounts. They haven't been down in a while and since we feed year around they came back. Been around the feeder every day for over a week.