What kind of gun is that?

BriarPatch99

This newspaper supports what I was told about GGrandpa

THE GAZETTE: TIFTON, GA., FRIDAY, MARCH 4, 1892
MR. ELIJAH YOUNGBLOOD KILLED.
A Sad House in the Southeastern Part of Coffee County.
It is with regret that we record the killing of Mr. Elijah Youngblood, Sr., by Mr. John Tanner, Sr.. The tragedy occurred in the southeastern part of the county Tuesday morning.
It appears that Mr. Tanner was out burning woods for his cows Tuesday and for some unknown reason Mr. Youngblood objected to it, beat out the fire and Mr. Tanner word that if he set fire to the woods again he would be there to stop him. Mr. Tanner believing he had a right to burn the woods notwithstanding it was Mr. Youngblood's land, in view of the fact that it was a safe distance from any house, went out and set fire to the woods again, and while he was strewing fire Mr. Youngblood came to him with his gun and was quarreling with him when Messrs. Simeon Youngblood and John Tanner, Jr., arrived. They separated the old gentlemen, but suddenly Mr. Youngblood jerked away and ran around and struck Mr. Tanner a heavy blow with a big limb, whereupon Mr. Tanner got out his pocket-knife and cut Mr. Youngblood in the breast near the heart. Mr. Youngblood died almost instantly.
Mr. Youngblood was about seventy years old and was generally known as the greatest deer and alligator killer in South Georgia. He had killed up to the time of his death 993 deer. He was one of the first settlers of Coffee County.
Mr. Tanner is also one among our oldest citizens, and he has friends innumerable. He is a very quiet old gentleman. He and Mr. Youngblood have always heretofore been friendly and neighborly.

From another source ....

Later in life, Elijah Youngblood bought a farm in the same community where he had been living, and lived there until his death.Elijah was a farmer, hunter and trapper.He was known as great hunter and at his death had killed 993 wildcats, and other varmints according to his count.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

A High School friend of mine's dad had something similar, it would fire if you racked the slide while holding the trigger down. Kind a poor man's full auto.

Mattval

Do you have 22 shorts?

RFWobbly

They made copies into the late 1950's, calling them the Model 62. I had a Scout show up for a troop shoot with one of these that seemed to be of modern manufacture and was nickel plated.

I believe these were a JM Browning design... which is why they are so reliable.

~850K were manufactured of the earlier 1890 and 1906 designs. Another 410K of the Model 62.

Last edited: