What late-season hunting boots are you guys wearing?

CroMagnum

I have Lacrosse Alpha Snakeboots that I wear spring thru early winter here in middle Georgia but I'm looking for a pair I can wear that are good for the winter in areas spanning from South Georgia to Northern North Carolina in piedmont as well as mountainous terrain. I've considered Salewa mid GTX hikers but, unfortunately haven't located any retailers within a couple hundred miles that sell them and I'd rather avoid the hassel of not being able to try them on before buying for the money I expect to have to spend. My price point hovers around $250 but would be willing to go higher for a boot that does not allow my heel to slide, blister resistent, relatively lightweight, waterproof (Goretex, etc) and uninsulated as I will let my heavy-weight merino wool socks provide the warmth. Looking to my brothers here for recommendations.

IIICrkRepr

Irish Setter Gunflint II with the king toe. I like the xtra room in the toe for wool socks, I hate it when I cant move my toes inside my boots. They aren't light but my feet never got cold, even in Ohio.

CroMagnum

Irish Setter Gunflint II with the king toe. I like the xtra room in the toe for wool socks, I hate it when I cant move my toes inside my boots. They aren't light but my feet never got cold, even in Ohio.
Thankd for the recommendation. Do they make your feet fatigued after weraing them on a long trek?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I wear LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots. Rubber bottom, leather top, uninsulated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Insulated Danners with good wool socks. It's often in the teens here during rifle season, sometimes single digits.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Dean

A tight boot fit will increase the cold in a boot, need space for proper air circulation inside the boot. The other key of course is 'sweaty' feet and not wearing a liner or sock that wicks moisture. If hunting in really cold temps, the insulated boot covers you slip on over boots after in stand are a good choice if you don't mind adding something extra to your day pack.

CroMagnum

A tight boot fit will increase the cold in a boot, need space for proper air circulation inside the boot. The other key of course is 'sweaty' feet and not wearing a liner or sock that wicks moisture. If hunting in really cold temps, the insulated boot covers you slip on over boots after in stand are a good choice if you don't mind adding something extra to your day pack.
I have a pair I got from Cabela's awhile ago and they work fine for me and don't weigh a ton

Triple C

Hot Hands toe warmers when I need them,

^^^^^
Total game changer in cold temps. Buy you a pack of these and next time it gets really cold, stick one over the toe area of each foot over a pair of sock liners and wool socks. I keep em in bulk at the farm for late season.

CroMagnum

^^^^^
Total game changer in cold temps. Buy you a pack of these and next time it gets really cold, stick one over the toe area of each foot over a pair of sock liners and wool socks. I keep em in bulk at the farm for late season.
I couldn'tagree more. In fact, it's time to order more now. Thanks for the reminder. Question: have you ever used the body warmers?

Triple C

I couldn'tagree more. In fact, it's time to order more now. Thanks for the reminder. Question: have you ever used the body warmers?
I just haven't seen the need for the body warmer pads so far. If I were hunting midwest or colder climates I'd not hesitate. I know guys up north like the kidney/chest adhesive warmers.

coolbreezeroho

Danner proghorns...Got a set that's 400 and a set 800...Have worn the 800s like 3 times to just break them in. The 400 and a thin wool sock and a med thick wool sock does outstanding. I have a few pairs of 100 percent wool dress socks that I use as the thin/liner sock

CroMagnum

Danner proghorns...Got a set that's 400 and a set 800...Have worn the 800s like 3 times to just break them in. The 400 and a thin wool sock and a med thick wool sock does outstanding. I have a few pairs of 100 percent wool dress socks that I use as the thin/liner sock
You wear the wool liners long with the merino wook heavier socks?

coolbreezeroho

You wear the wool liners long with the merino wook heavier socks?

Cromagnum....Yes ..A thin wool sock such as a wool dress sock then a med/heavy wool sock. I shop ay Macy"s for my liner socks ...:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:....I found some of their 100 percent wool dress socks on sale an bought 6 pairs .... They go real good with my hunting boots ....

CroMagnum

Cromagnum....Yes ..A thin wool sock such as a wool dress sock then a med/heavy wool sock. I shop ay Macy"s for my liner socks ...:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:....I found some of their 100 percent wool dress socks on sale an bought 6 pairs .... They go real good with my hunting boots ....
Gonna give that a try once it gets cold. Looks like I'm headed to the next one-day sale at Macy's too...thx sir

Latest posts