What lbs test??

hopper

Got a new rod 7ft ugly medium with a Pflueger 35. Will be using it in Lanier mostly crankbaits, spoons and plastics for spots. Thinking 8 or 10 lb what would be best for all around fishing? Also thinking fluorocarbon over mono?

menhadenman

My suggestion is go with 15 lb braid to leader(mono or fluoro) of whatever technique you're using at the time. The braid tolerates the twist spinning reels & certain techniques inherently cause.

I’ve gone almost exclusively to braid on my spin reels (maybe 30ish of them). Kast King is a cheaper alternative to Power Pro and also works, just don’t go too thin. Look up the Alberto knot and use that to tie into some flouro leader - Seagar is the ticket. 15 lb is great unless you’re fishing bigger fish. Stands up to abrasion better and is invisible to fish. Use an improved clinch knot to your business end.

BassBound

I personally prefer braid to flouro leader. You’ll avoid line twists and you can change your leader to whatever you need without having to replace main line. It will give you more flexibility and save you $. I use Seagar smackdown 50lb. If you use flouro I recommend Seagar invizx. Amazon has the best prices for line.

Coenen

Ugly's aren't the most sensitive thing ever; I'd recommend something like 20lb braid to a fluoro leader. That'll help with your applications that require feel.

8lb is fine for most of what we do on Lanier, 10 or 12 will work too, just go with what you're comfortable with.

Brand-wise, you'll just have to try a couple. I believe most of the major brands market spools of fluoro in the 20-50yd range that are labeled specifically as "leader;" pick up a few and try 'em. The price per yard is higher than going with full spools, but at least you're not out the full price if you get something you don't like.

I fish a lot of Sunline, and Seaguar Red Label. I really like that Seaguar as a more budget-friendly option.

Last edited:

littlejon

With a 35 I would use 10-12 but would lean towards the 10 on Lanier. Just depends on what you are throwing. I use size 30 reel on Lanier with 7 0r 8 lb test line.

JohnK

Go no more than 15 lb braid to leader. Google up "Shin's knot, tacklewarehouse". It's the easiest connection knot. Braid gives you increased sensitivity and lure control. It lasts much longer as well. I go about 7 ft. On the leader most of the time, maybe a ft on top water and jerkbaits.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
For that setup I say braid to leader also. Braid increases sensitivity and turns a $50 combo into a $200 combo. At that point you can use straight #15 braid and just change leader sizes if you want to fish different techniques.