What the best inline muzzle loader of today ?

coolbreezeroho

I have a couple of inlines and thinking of getting another one. Whats everyone's thoughts on the best shooting and easiest to maintain ?

BarnesAddict

Best shooting or easiest to maintain? That's all in the eye of the owner.
Maybe suggesting what your overall expectations are will help.
Tip up? Bolt? Long range? Target/competition?

BuckskinBP

the one you leave on the rack as you reach for the traditional sidelock ;)

I would first figure out the rules/regs and then go from there. TC has really much taken themselves out of the muzzleloader business, CVA has easily roared to the #1 position. Just have to figure out what will fit your needs best and go from there.

BarnesAddict

Might look at that new nitrofire gun or whatever they call it
The ATF doesn't consider the Nitrofire a muzzlelaoder. Plus you need a 4473 to purchase one.
It is extremely expensive to shoot and if the firesticks stop being made, you have a junk rifle.

NCMTNHunter

The best shooting in lines today will cost you what a high end custom rifle does. Nothing traditional about them but they do load from the muzzle.

BarnesAddict

Seems like where ever one goes and there's a discussion specifically about modern inline rifles, such as the title of this post, its inevitable that a traditional rifle has to be brought into the conversation.
It should clearly appear that the OP is asking about an inline muzzleloader SMH

shdw633

Might buy an Encore or that one that’s a step up from that.
Ruger??? @shdw633
He got one

I have a Remington 700 UML. I agree with BarnesAddict on his statement that you really have to know what you want to accomplish with the ML before determining which one is going to be best to get the job done. I have 4 ML's myself and each one was gotten for a specific purpose. When I hunt in the Midwest I love the 700; however when I hunt Georgia I almost always use my Omega 45. I need the distance in the Midwest, not so much in Georgia where I hunt.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Seems like where ever one goes and there's a discussion specifically about modern inline rifles, such as the title of this post, its inevitable that a traditional rifle has to be brought into the conversation.
It should clearly appear that the OP is asking about an inline muzzleloader SMH
Amen and everytime.
Thats why I quit giving crossbows the::ke:.
If I’m gonna carry a traditional ML I might as well tote the compound so the traditional bow hunters can::ke:me.
Heck I killed a duck with a rock and dropped it so whats primitive now anyway.

BarnesAddict

Who said anything about the ATF?
Well, like the title of the post indicates, the OP is looking for information about inline muzzleloaders. The Nitrofire is not considered a muzzleloader.

BarnesAddict

It is a muzzleloader.

The bullet loads from the muzzle.
Sorry, but its not a muzzleloader and isn't considered one by the ATF. Its more of a breech loader and most all states will not allow it in their dedicated muzzleloader seasons. The propellant is also nitro based, not BH209 and therefore smokeless. Its a mistake.

BarnesAddict

Disagree.

Georgia does not define what a muzzleloading rifle is and this should be legal in Georgia because the bullet loads from the muzzle.

This is all it says about 'muzzleloading'

The dnr then needs to clearly define what is a muzzleloading firearm.

The technology is changing.

Because it loads the projectile from the muzzle, and the fiddlestick from the breech, the ATF does not consider it a muzzleloader. It also must be sold using a 4473.
Yes, there are other muzzleloaders that require a 4473, but all load both propellant and bullet from the muzzle and are considered a muzzleloader by the ATF.

Before ANYONE purchases the rifle, in any state, get a CLEAR understanding from your state's law enforcement wildlife/dnr. In writing. Make sure that your DNR understands what propellant is actually within that fiddlestick.

This thing has been discussed all over the internet and if you look hard enough, you'll find the ATF ruling or statement on it. While you're searching, check for the MSDS sheet for the propellant. When you find that, please post the direct link.

This outfit is likely destined to go the exact way of the CVA Electra and Maxim. Lehigh is also trying to get a similar rifle approved by the ATF, which will end up being a bust also.
You're right about technology changing, but most of these companies haven't learned a single thing.
Although I've never liked BPI/CVA (not the original CVA) At least CVA is trying to step up its game with the new fast twist 45cal rifles.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Disagree.

Georgia does not define what a muzzleloading rifle is and this should be legal in Georgia because the bullet loads from the muzzle.

This is all it says about 'muzzleloading'

The dnr then needs to clearly define what is a muzzleloading firearm.

The technology is changing.

The man asked about a modern inline muzzleloader. Let`s respect his wishes and not go into your confusing things. Let the people that know about these things help him out.

This is not a suggestion.

BarnesAddict

Thanks Gentlemen

I'd really take a close look at the 2020 models from CVA. BPI/CVA has made huge steps making fast twist 45cal rifles that are very accurate for production rifles. The Paramount has proven itself well in the field this past fall. For 2020 they are offering a lighter version of the Paramount, plus other models also in 45cal.
Powerbelt, also a BPI owned company, has stepped up with the ELR bullet, which is not only accurate at long ranges, but also functions. Big step.

Although the Paramount is rated for much heavier charges for long range hunting, it also shoots lighter than maximum charges accurately. Yes, its more expensive than some of the other products, but IMO it lives up to the price.

Good luck with your choice.

Buckman18

Not to confuse matters further, but I have a TC Encore, and I really like it. I also have a 300 win mag barrel for it. Ive enjoyed the combo a lot over the years!